You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-24 15:42:34

Back2Cali

[urgent] cups broke after last update

Hi!

I have some problems with cups after the recent update. I'm using arch64 and was able to pint till this morning. I updated cups and wanted to print something a couple of minutes ago. But everything I want to print will stay in the KJobViewer with an error status. So I tried reinstalling my printer (Okipage 14ex) but now I'm also no longer able to install it at all. Whatever driver I'll choose I'll get an error message saying that cups was unable to load the driver (depending on the driver the reasons are different). I also looked at the /var/olog/cups/error.log file finding the following entry very often:

E [24/Mar/2007:16:03:08 +0100] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!

It's there for like 20 times or so.

But I need to print some important forms this weekend, so I need help. Otherwise I need to set up Windows again which you all know is a punch in every linux user's face.
But maybe somebody can help me with this so I don't need to search for the XP CD.... wink

Thanks!

#2 2007-03-24 15:50:04

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [urgent] cups broke after last update

Have you tried restarting the cups daemon?  I recall a couple of odd cups upgrade-issues I had that went away as soon as I did /etc/rc.d/cups restart

#3 2007-03-24 16:13:59

Back2Cali

Yes, I did that a couple of times and after the error messages I got when installing any driver at all I also reinstalled all the foomatic packages and gutenprint. But nothing seems to work... sad

#4 2007-03-24 18:25:57

iBertus

Try rolling back to the older CUPS. It seems several people on the forum have issues with CUPS now.

#5 2007-03-27 17:48:06

eldarion

I don't know if this helps, but after last update i could't print with cups anymore, so i went to gentoo foruns. I have found this:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-54 … +cups.html

So, try to change the group of /dev/lpx from "lp" to "nobody", in the permissions of this file. At least it works for me.

#6 2007-03-30 11:05:13

Back2Cali

Try rolling back to the older CUPS. It seems several people on the forum have issues with CUPS now

Well, this is impossible since I don't have the old 64bit packages on my harddrive.... sad

Is there any way to get cups back to work again? If you're saying many people have issues with cups now, is there anything known about the cause of these issues yet?

#7 2007-03-30 13:15:20

funkmuscle

Hey, try the roll back. It did work for some. Didn't for me and it seems that my issues is so unique that now on looks at it.
This is my story:
does anyone know what this is?
"/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC210C failed"

It all happened after a cups update. my brother mfc210c stopped working. the scanner works.
Went back to the older version of cups but still getting that problems.

any help?

The funny this is it worked before on the old version of cups but now it doesn't and can't find a solution for it.

#8 2007-03-30 21:30:48

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Try cleaning out those dirs:
/var/spool/cups
/var/spool/cups/tmp (do NOT remove this dir)

Then restart cups and try again. This did the trick for me a while ago smile.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2007-03-31 09:14:23

Back2Cali

Well, it didn't work for me. I still can't print. And since I cleared the chached packages a while ago I also can't downgrade....
Does anyone know if somebody of the devs is currently working on this problem?

#10 2007-03-31 14:45:48

G_Syme

Back2Cali wrote:

Try rolling back to the older CUPS. It seems several people on the forum have issues with CUPS now

Well, this is impossible since I don't have the old 64bit packages on my harddrive.... sad

It's not impossible, you can always use CVS to get the old versions of PKGBUILD & Co. smile You can read about it in the wiki

I don't know how  much packages are needed for the downgrade but you will need at least cups and libcups:

libcups:
there is only a PKGBUILD (no additional files) so I think this should do it (back to 1.2.9)

cups:
there are more files than just the PKGBUILD, but most of them haven't been modified since a long time except PKGBUILD (9 days ago) and maybe fr-template.patch (3 weeks ago), so most important should be this page.

With these information/files you can recreate the lost/old packages yourself. Copy /var/abs/lib/libcups and /var/abs/daemons/cups into /var/abs/local and modify the PKGBUILDs according to the CVS diff entries mentioned above and type makepkg. AFAIK this should be enough.

If you are lucky (and don't use abs too much, last maybe a month ago or so) then your abs-tree might still contain the old files and you can use them without modifications smile .

The courageous enter dark caves alone.
The clever send in the courageous first.
The cleverest wait behind the clever.

#11 2007-03-31 15:55:20

funkmuscle

I got a copy of the old libcups and cups from this dude: www.archlinux.org/~daniel/
He has version 1.2.7 od libcups and cups.
I've tried them but it all failed. deleted the /var/spool/cup and still get the "/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC210C failed"
The sad thing is that my printer works connected to PCLinuxOS but directly to Arch, my main pc, it fails. I use removable drives.

Board footer