You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-26 00:15:11

smoochie

install arch on emachine laptop

Hello,

Here is my problem. I am trying to install arch on an emachines amd64 laptop. The 0.6 install disc boots a working 2.6 kernel from which I can get networking started. If I then install a 2.6 kernel, it freezes loading the kernel at the point where the dmesg says: "NET" Registered protocol family 2". If I install a 2.4 kernel it will boot fine after adding acpi=off and agp=try_unsupported parms. However, I cannot get networking to work with the 2.4 kernel. The modules will load but I will always timeout during network start. I've run network start using bash -x and I am getting the correct parms to dhcpd. It just doesn't want to work. So my question is this. How do I get a 2.6 kernel to boot? I know it will work because install uses it. Is there a way to use the install kernel? Should I try to build a kernel during install and how do I do this?

Thanks,
Jason

#2 2004-04-26 00:45:24

smoochie

Re: install arch on emachine laptop

In regards to building a kernel, I call RTFM! After taking a look at the docs. It seems that this is a documented option. I'm trying this now, because as the docs say I am desperate!

Still taking suggestions though.

Thanks,
Jason

#3 2004-04-26 06:02:29

smoochie

umm.... Not doing so well with my own kernel. Still looking for the savvy to run the install kernel as opposed to building my own. Very OT. Took some time out to watch Coupling on PBS which is funny as hell and send a few flaming emails to interactive dvd cause my wife bought a dvd and it won't run for the simple fact that we live in a DRM world.
Just some history: Bought a winbook/tibook lookalike and my wife stole it calling it the "command center". Point is normally this would pass. So I waited and it never passed. So I figured I'd would one up her with the emachiines laptop. BUT you all know how hard it is to make new hwd to work on linux. Long story short: If you know how to DOS interactiuve DVD then please do. Second help me! If you only have time to DOS interactive DVD then do it!

Thanks,
Jason

#4 2004-04-29 17:24:52

smoochie

Ok, Got the 2.6.3 kernel working. There is an excellent resource here.

The 3 things which helped me were:
1.) Using the config file listed on the page linked above as a basic guide.
2.) Using ext3 as my filesystem.
3.) Adding "pci=noacpi noapic psmouse.proto=imps" to my kernel boot parms.

Also on the page linked above there are links to 2 other resources. "thither's page" and a gentoo forum link. Thither's page is worth checking out and the gentoo forum is a long read but provides some background on the problems.

The link also provides misc patches. I have not tried those yet.

As far as I know the wireless card does not have working drivers yet and the ati card will not run 3d due to lack of drivers. If I find solutions to either I will post here.

p.s. Sorry about the OT in the posts above I am the only person I know who can get OT in a dsicussion with themself.  smile

Thanks,
Jason

#5 2004-04-29 18:16:38

xerxes2
Website

Welcome to Arch smoochie!

There been others rececently having trouble with bootfreezing.

It seems to be something with apic, maybe just pic is better.
You can check your bios settings also if trouble continue.

ps:What means OT?

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#6 2004-04-29 20:14:16

smoochie

Thanks xerxes2! I am able to boot now. OT = off topic.

-Jason

#7 2004-04-30 00:19:55

xerxes2
Website

This may be OT,but if you meet Oprah try to get her in to Arch!

Or maybe not ,then she only get everyone else to use it.

If that happens I move back to typewriter!

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

Board footer