You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-31 15:46:29

AdamskiAirsoft

Installation guides for .8

Hullo,

I've tried installing Arch Linux twice before, each time literally destroying my hard drive. Both times, I've followed the official guide hosted on the site, and was using the latest stable version. However, I've read recomendations to just go with .8, and if there was an UP TO-DATE guide, that I could follow.

I swear I've followed the guides correctly, and I've never had problems with partitioning or installing Linux before.

I was also wondering if I should not install Arch at all, as of now. Because I might be having hardware compatability problems, or there isn't any major change to the installation or guide of .8, or just not to risk it, and use another distro.

#2 2007-03-31 16:48:16

dolby

Re: Installation guides for .8

search the wiki for beginners guide.

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-03-31 16:58:36

AdamskiAirsoft

Which is what I've used both times, following as it directed, and rendered two harddrives impossible to even use.

#4 2007-03-31 17:50:00

WhiteMagic

Here is a link to an installation guide for 0.8 http://veloxis.de/archdocs/arch-install-guide.html . The link is taken from this flyspray entry http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/6149 .
I hope this is the newest version, if not someone else will hopefully post the link to a newer version.

#5 2007-03-31 19:35:21

AdamskiAirsoft

:-(

Unfortunatly, it's the same guide I followed.

Would it be wise to install LILO as the boot manager, as it automatically is installed into the correct place? I'm not worried about dual booting or losing data at all, just worried about losing the life of my hard drive.

I'm paranoid to do it again, but Arch is the only distro that has appealed to me.

I'm getting a new hard drive in a day or two. I still don't know what has gone wrong with the past two, but I have a thought.

Both hard drives got partitioned and Arch installed correctly on it. I checked and it was all there. No errors. I then tried to install the bootloader, and out of ignorance, just chose the top one, which I guess overwrited the current bootloader, and something wasn't configured right.

I tried to boot, and it never got past the very first screen, powered down, unplugged hard drive, I could boot fully now, but when I plugged in the hard drive, it fried, because I heard IDE's will fry when plugged in when powered on.

#6 2007-03-31 20:47:53

aRcHaTe

try to learn more about linux commands...i think its unnacessary a wiki install..but....

Its a sick world we live in....

#7 2007-03-31 21:07:59

hacosta

maybe it's a hardware problem?

#8 2007-03-31 23:43:34

iphitus
Forum Fellow

AdamskiAirsoft wrote:

:-(

I tried to boot, and it never got past the very first screen, powered down, unplugged hard drive, I could boot fully now, but when I plugged in the hard drive, it fried, because I heard IDE's will fry when plugged in when powered on.

So in summary, you probably had a problem with the bootloader, or initcpio. And you fried the hard drive, not Arch, by plugging it in when you shouldn't have.

James

Board footer