You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-31 13:14:40

fishonadish

danimoth repo/xgl; & question regarding AIGLX and ATI

Hi

I took a notion to try a compositing window manager, but I've not been very successful.  Unfortunately, it seems I have to use XGL rather than AIGLX, because the xorg ATI driver doesn't support DRI for my chipset, so I'm stuck with fglrx (which doesn't perform too well either, but does at least work).

Anyway, the XGL package in the Danimoth repository doesn't work at the moment.  I get these file conflicts:

xgl-0.0.1: /usr/man/man1/Xserver.1.gz exists in filesystem
xgl-0.0.1: /usr/share/X11/xkb/compiled/README.compiled exists in filesystem

# pacman -Qo /usr/man/man1/Xserver.1.gz 
/usr/man/man1/Xserver.1.gz is owned by xorg-server 1.2.0-3

# pacman -Qo /usr/share/X11/xkb/compiled/README.compiled 
error: No package owns /usr/share/X11/xkb/compiled/README.compiled

Is it just the case that the package needs updating, or is something wrong here? (Also, where does that README.compiled come from if it's not owned by any package?)  I presume there's no point in building it from the AUR, since I'll just get the same conflicts . . .

While I'm on the subject, does anyone know the likelihood of my graphics working with AIGLX in the future?  I have a Radeon Xpress 200 (RC410), and I would prefer to use the open source drivers, but I gather the chances of the Xorg driver supporting DRI on it are fairly slim. Are there plans for fglrx to work with AIGLX?

Thanks for any replies.

regards,
Fishonadish

Last edited by fishonadish (2007-03-31 13:22:40)

#2 2007-04-01 15:43:20

fishonadish

Re: danimoth repo/xgl; & question regarding AIGLX and ATI

I see in this thread

Danimoth wrote:

From now, DaNiMoTh's repo it is unaccessible, because xgl and compiz are in [community].

Thank you all for your helping in these months, and I hope that you continue your testing with community packages.

pacman -Ss xgl is giving nothing for me at the moment, but I presume I just need to wait for my community mirror to sync.

Still wondering about fglrx and aiglx, though.  Google searches turn up various predictions/suppositions, but they aren't consistent. Any ideas, or is it just a matter of wait and see?

Thanks.
Fishonadish

#3 2007-04-01 17:08:32

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: danimoth repo/xgl; & question regarding AIGLX and ATI

So far, afaik, there is no timeline for fglrx to support the necessary openGL extensions needed for aiglx.

Board footer