You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-31 17:30:57

grizzlyB

Problems with GRUB

I tried to install archlinux and almost everything went fine , until the moment i rebooted and was unable to access the new installation. Actually grub didn't install at all, during the installation i was presented with the grub configuration file, which i edited, but when i closed it threw me back to the install screen without any more questions. So i tried again, but the same thing happened it did not ask where to install it (mbr or elsewhere) so i had no other option but to reboot. Apparantely grub was not installed, so i booted from the CD and tried the arch root=/dev/sdb7 but at the end of the boot process it gives an error message: Kernel panic: not syncing or something like that. And just a few lines before that bash reported that root=/dev/sb7 is an unknown command. The strange thing is that during booting i saw a message saying that the partition i installed arch on was successfully mounted. I'm a bit confused, why grub refuses to install , and beyond that why i'm unable to boot even from the CD. With the old releases (7, 7.2) arch detected my hdd's as hda and hdb, now they are sda and sdb is this related to the problem ( i have ide drives) ?  Theres is something more, when i try to setup the root pass from the install menu, i get stuck in an endless loop, and the screen is flooded with the message "there is no such user" (smth like that) .

#2 2007-03-31 18:45:51

noriko
Website

Re: Problems with GRUB

i think the best/easiest thing to do here is install with the working? 7.2 cd then upgrade afterwards ... there is no difference how you install arch / what version .. the version relates to hte install cd only .. there is otherwise no arch linux version-ing ... the devices become sd* because the install cd uses the new pata subsysem instead of the old ide ...

if you prefer to install wit the beta iso then please post the errors messages from the kernel panick , your grub menu.lst /. that's as much as i can think of right now ...

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#3 2007-04-01 09:00:18

grizzlyB

Well, i thought about installing an older release of Arch (Ark tongue ), but i would be trading one problem for another, because i had some problems with grub, which installed , but i was unable to boot because of the change between the booting images from kernel 2.4 to 2.6. Anyway i'm not giving up big_smile Noriko, thanks  for your advice smile

#4 2007-04-01 20:09:48

Borosai

I had a problem installing GRUB yesterday as well using the 0.8beta2 base cd for x86_64. Everything went well except for installing GRUB to the MBR...it just wouldn't do it. I ended up restarting the installation, but this time I decided to do an FTP install, and it worked. I don't know what caused the problem, but you may want to try restarting the installation process, or maybe an FTP install.

Anyway, everything is running great now. big_smile

#5 2007-04-01 23:43:32

rayjgu3

when booting from cd recovery mode it isnt

arch root=/dev/hdXY

i know thats what is displayed on screen but the proper command is

vmlinuz root=/dev/hdXY

once in check your

/boot/grub/menu.lst

if all is ok run

grub-install /dev/hdX