You are not logged in.

#1 2003-02-07 13:59:50

cartridge
Website

My Gnome Crashes After Doing Update... :x

well i think this is a package problem off course...
i installed gnome2 from CD, and all was going just fine...
after doing pacman -Syu
BOOM
Gnome crashes every program i open
well i got very very angry about the situation
and ...l mke2fs -j /dev/hda3
now im useing the Stable packges for pacman...
im just posting this to alert the packagers about the problem :x
THANKS smile
and archlinux RULES !

#2 2003-02-24 22:25:03

cartridge
Website

Re: My Gnome Crashes After Doing Update... :x

well i reinstalled all, installed gnome2 from CD
made a pacman -Syu
and boom
gnome crashes again..
plz can someone examine my problem ?
many thanks.

#3 2003-02-24 22:45:42

BluPhoenyx

This is not quite so easy as it sounds as we have no info other than it crashed.

You don't say how you are starting gnome or whether the environment was setup properly. To check the environment, type the env command in a console. You should see a couple of things. One, the /opt/gnome/bin is inserted into the PATH and the GNOMEDIR variable is set. There are others but these are important.

You might try some different things on your own first. Try either removing or (better yet) renaming the old gnome directories in your home path so gnome writes new files. There may be configuration or cached files causing problems. What I do in a case like that is to make a ~/.gnome-bkp and move the directories there.

You could also try starting a different desktop or window manager and then try running gnome programs. I know this works with the updated gnome. It may not tell you what is wrong with gnome but it might tell you if a library or file is missing or misconfigured.

BluPhoenyx

#4 2003-02-25 00:10:14

sarah31
Website

i am hearing of this problem more and more. cartridge you are the third person in a week that has reported issues after upgrading your gnome.

this indeed seems to be a pacman related issue as the gnome maintainer has no issues with his system. it is likely due to the prder pacman is installing the packages that is causing the problem.

i don't know what to suggest at this time.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-02-25 00:11:58

apeiro
Daddy
Website

which packages get updated when you run pacman -Syu?

#6 2003-02-25 01:59:00

BluPhoenyx

I'm looking into this on both my laptop and an Athlon system. While I don't get whole Gnome crashes, I do get application crashes. The laptop returns a corba error but the Athlon returns a segmentation fault. Oddly enough, even panel applets such as eyes will crash but the deskswitcher and taskswitcher seem ok.  When logging out of gnome there is another crash. However, using the alt+f2 to run a program works ok and non gnome programs run fine. Also, the gnome bug report option seems to work although I stopped short of actually sending an error report.

On both systems the programs will work just fine outside of gnome itself. On the Athlon I have a simple ROX with metacity window manager and the default gnome-panels. The lower panel has desk switcher, task switcher and eyes running. The top panel has the menu, the actions menu the gnome-terminal icon the clock and the little task switcher menu.

One other thing I have to do to be certain is to re-install nautilus from the current repository. Since I didn't use it, I temporarily removed it to reduce the d/l time.

I should probably state, for the record that I too appreciate the mention of this problem. Things like this need testing and fixing. Since I don't use Gnome much anymore, I probably wouldn't have noticed as the few gnome apps I sometimes use work fine outside of the gnome session.

I'll return with more info soon.

BluPhoenyx

#7 2003-02-25 02:39:42

BluPhoenyx

Ok, here's some more info. Nautilus crashes inside Gnome as well. After exiting back to the console, I see these errors.

(gnome-panel:559): GLIB-GObject-WARNING **: cannot create instance of abstract (non-instantiatable) type `GTKWidget'

It also shows for nautilus, bug-buddy and the other gnome programs I ran.

BluPhoenyx

#8 2003-02-25 02:52:55

apeiro
Daddy
Website

perhaps they need to be rebuilt for gtk 2.2?

#9 2003-02-25 04:50:45

cartridge
Website

i think the problem is in the nautilus package.
cause it crashes when nautilus is loading...
well its just a guess

#10 2003-02-25 16:55:24

Nickm

Hi I'm a new member hehe...

but i upgraded to current and then it all happened, cannot start any gnome app.
gnome-cd, gnome-alsamixer, the gnome terminal all give:

Application "gnome-terminal" (process 618) has crashed
due to a fatal error.
(Segmentation fault)

it shows

(appname:number): GLIB-GObject-WARNING **: cannot create instance of abstract (non-instantiatable) type `GTKWidget' 

isn't this glib related then ??

btw Is it possible to downgrade bck to stable somehow

o damn forgot to mention something... just as gnome has started i can access gnome apps, after 15-25 secs they suddenly stop working and they all crash afterward

#11 2003-02-26 05:44:54

BluPhoenyx

I don't know if they need rebuilding for gtk 2.2 or not. As mentioned, the run fine outside of the Gnome session itself. For example, I'm in XFC4 with Mozilla 1.3b and have gnome-terminal running on a different desktop. The only oddity I notice is the env in the gnome-terminal has an incorrect DISPLAY it is :0 instead of 0:0 as you would see in aterm or xterm.

BluPhoenyx

#12 2003-02-26 12:34:36

Rouslan

BluPhoenyx wrote:

The only oddity I notice is the env in the gnome-terminal has an incorrect DISPLAY it is :0 instead of 0:0 as you would see in aterm or xterm.

I think it's normal

Rouslan

#13 2003-02-26 20:53:51

BluPhoenyx

Yeah, that's a local screen display, although gnome seems to be the only one who shows it this way. I can't check konsole though as I don't have KDE installed.

BluPhoenyx

Board footer