You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-28 19:09:04

pedepy

Where's HAL ??

Hey .. Ive installed kdemod, and in order to install it, have had to install HAL. Now, HAL seems properly installed and all, but when I try to mount devices in KDE, I get a "only available with HAL" kind of error .. ?? So, where's HAL ??

I guess its somewhere I should specify for it to load but where ?

On a somewhat related note, Im curious as to how to get my USB drives to pop up automatically when I plug it in. I used to run pclinuxos and it did that automatically .. I'm no expert on that matter and it seems to me it might have something to do with HAL once again, or perhaps udev ?? Ill go read up on that later but perhaps someone here knows what Im talking about and can help. I have tried to copy the lines from fstab in my pclinuxos partition to my arch's fstab but it doesnt work. For now, I have to mount my usb drive manually off a terminal. Oh yeah, I also have to mount my DVD drive the same way, cause of my 1st problem..

The closest Ive come was getting a "removable media" icon in "media:/" in konqueror .. it seems to point to /proc/bus/usb but that doesnt seem to be a real device for me .. . I mount my usb drive from /dev/sdb1. When I add /dev/sdb1 in fstab as a hard drive is works fine but then again its a usb key, not a hard drive .. Me wants my USB icon...

hope you can help ..

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#2 2007-03-28 19:12:37

bwalk

Re: Where's HAL ??

You started the daemon with

/etc/rc.d/hal start

?

#3 2007-03-28 19:23:37

s26c.sayan
Website

You may also like to add the HAL daemon ( hald ) to the list of startup daemons in /etc/rc.conf.

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#4 2007-03-28 20:07:22

Stalwart
Website

Arch doesn't run all installed daemons by default like ubuntu. You must add it to daemon list manually

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#5 2007-03-28 22:27:03

Zer0

pedepy wrote:

Im curious as to how to get my USB drives to pop up automatically when I plug it in.

Once you start the hal daemon it will do the popups. 

as suggested.. add hal to the daemons line in /etc/rc.conf

#6 2007-03-30 15:26:58

pedepy

Yep I suspected it was something like that ... I just wasnt quite sure what it was exactly. And I prefer posting here even a simple question before toying around with those files ... mind you I have only been using this linux stuff for a few months..

I must admit, arch IS a great distro to learn what's under a linux OS' hood ... !

So thanks to you all smile

#7 2007-03-30 15:45:31

chaosgeisterchen

If there are still problems around, you should install and activate the dbus daemon as well.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#8 2007-03-30 16:03:22

dolby

well actually no. hal depends on dbus to install plus it autoloads it once started wink

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#9 2007-04-01 18:31:44

pedepy

well adding hal to my list of daemons in rc.conf did the trick just fine ... plus it loads id say at least 3 times faster than in pclinuxos .. so all is good... Now im probably gonna give fluxbox a try since my machine is a rather old one I wanna see what this little window manager can do for me .. Will I get the same results in fluxbox or is this just a kde thing ?

#10 2007-04-02 15:55:56

Zer0

dolby wrote:

well actually no. hal depends on dbus to install plus it autoloads it once started wink

True.. HAL autoloads DBUS so no need to add it to the daemons line..
here's the snippit of code from the HAL daemon script..

case "$1" in
    start)
        #Check for running dbus, start when not running
        ck_daemon dbus && /etc/rc.d/dbus start
    if [ -x /etc/rc.d/acpid ]; then
        ck_daemon acpid && /etc/rc.d/acpid start
    fi
        stat_busy "Starting Hardware Abstraction Layer"
    /usr/sbin/hald
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
        stat_fail
    else