You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-01 20:10:21

skittlehawk

A few questions about arch linux...

First off I would like to say that both versions of Arch Linux are superb ( x86 and x86_64 )!

My first question: Why is it that wine takes a long time to load? I have seen a thread on this but no one seems to be replying to that thread so I figured I could post my question here. I am not sure if this would affect it but it might be because I am using a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system. As for why I do this, it is because I need to use a program for school that I need wine for and wine isn't that easy on Arch64.

My second question: Is it possible to only install parts of openoffice? For example, could I just install writer, calc, and impress and nothing else? Just curious because fedora was able to do it but the source-based distros like gentoo could not. Just wondering if Arch was able to do it because it is a binary distribution.

kk thanks in advance for responses big_smile:D:D:D:D:D

#2 2007-04-01 20:16:59

suchy

Re: A few questions about arch linux...

Hi I'm not pro-user but i think that you can install only part of OO. Dowload only this package whitch you want smile (soryy beacouse of my english....)

#3 2007-04-01 20:25:10

cschep
Website

I'm also no expert, but I think it depends on how it's packaged by the OO people. They release OO as one big chunk, so the people that are packaging it for arch have no choice but to do the same.

As far as making a custom pkgbuild for it, I haven't learned how to do that yet, so you might be able to get the OO source and compile just the programs you want. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can do this, just takes a little elbow grease.

Your main question though, It doesn't look like they are split in the repos. I only see openoffice-base.

#4 2007-04-01 21:08:03

skittlehawk

Yes, that is what I noticed also. Thanks for the replies guys, and suchy, your english is ok big_smile

I would probably dive into that monster of a code known as openoffice sooner or later when I have about a week or so to read it ( as in summer vacation big_smile ) Hehehe

#5 2007-04-02 20:52:58

joaospinto

you can install abiword and gnumeric separately.. but are not OO tongue

#6 2007-04-03 20:16:45

suchy

I think that abiword and gnmeric are lighter than oo. And it is enough options and functions for me smile

Board footer