You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-27 10:14:10

thryllkill

regular user borked

Okay, I got arch installed, and kde running.  My ati card seems to running fine (haven't isntalled NWN yet for the real test).  Alsa is running good.  Everything seems great.  Time to set up a regular user so I don't log into root all the time.

Problem...  I used the KUser app and made a regular user.  Gave him the bash as default script.  But when I try to log on as my regular user I get kicked back to the KDM screen.  So I try a console log on and it tells me that I don't have permission to execute /bin/bash.  So I check the permissions on /bin/bash with ls -l /bin/bash and I get

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 627696 Jan 2 22:43 /bin/bash

so my regular user (he's part of the root group) should be able to use.  Heck he should be able to use it if he wasn't part of the root group.

Am I missing something really really obvious?

--matt

#2 2004-04-29 06:42:18

thryllkill

Re: regular user borked

no one has any ideas?

#3 2004-04-29 06:52:57

Moo-Crumpus

I don't use KDE at all, so I can't really help you out.

Things to check:

· use the console command "adduser" to add the user. This should work. No idea if kuser is not doing some mistakes.
· if you use a customized kernel, check if you have devfs compiled in, starting at boot.

This is all I can say so far.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#4 2004-04-29 12:03:23

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Just another guess, but try making 'users' the default group instead of 'root'.  If you're making a regular user so that you're getting out of the habit as running everything as root, making your user part of the root group is defeating the purpose.  To really keep from getting into trouble, you should use a normal unprivileged user.

HTH,
farphel

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#5 2004-04-29 12:15:26

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I think that the best way to add normal user is from terminal

useradd -m -s /bin/bash <username>
 passwd <username>

Mr Green

Mr Green

Board footer