You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-07 16:30:59

elliott

Dell C600 Docking

I just acquired a C/Dock II for my Dell C600, if I try to dock the laptop while it is running it will freeze almost immediately. Are there any logs I can check to see what is happening just before the freeze? If I undock it while it is running the dock's hardware still shows up in my "lspci" list. I assume this is a udev problem, but I am not experienced in messing with udev so if someone could point me in the right direction it would help a lot.

Last edited by elliott (2007-04-08 06:07:39)

#2 2007-04-08 11:38:23

Captain Spaulding
Website

Re: Dell C600 Docking

Un/Docking is a hot topic wink Vendors usually deplay a proprietary protocol and interface to manage hot-plug docking, which causes the usual problems with proprietary stuff, i. e. nothing works under GNU/Linux. I don't know about Dell, but HP and IBM both manage hot-plug docking over ACPI events, so I would suggest that you scan your logs for ACPI events or even debug your ACPI daemon to get more information. Unfortunatly you need CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG in your kernel, so you might have to recompile your kernel, unless the ARCH kernel has this option turned on. I don't know, for I use a custom kernel anyway.

Welcome to the hell of GNU/Linux on laptops. Those manufacturers mostly deserve a heart-felt kick into the groin-area sad

#3 2007-04-08 21:23:54

elliott

Re: Dell C600 Docking

I'm not using ACPI, this laptop works better with APM, but if it means docking will work I'll try to make ACPI work.

Board footer