You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-27 05:17:27

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Gentoo.org: Robbins Resigns as Chief Architect

Hi All,

As of today, I am resigning from my development responsibilities for Gentoo. This includes my role as Chief Architect and as manager of release engineering. I am not appointing a replacement Chief Architect. For releng, Zhen is doing an excellent job leading this effort and I would like him to be able to continue his work in this area.

Regards,

Daniel

Linux Today
http://linuxtoday.com/developer/2004042602926NWCYDV
OSNews.
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=6850

Markku

#2 2004-04-27 09:32:58

Moo-Crumpus

Re: Gentoo.org: Robbins Resigns as Chief Architect

Who cares?

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2004-04-27 11:42:55

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

Who cares?

In everything there is an opportunity to learn. What attracted me was the following comment, hinting about the importance of having a direction. This is nothing new, but it seems people forget in long run when becoming a popular distro. Arch has a direction.

but gentoo seems to lack direction. For a while it was "we make a source distro that j00 can use to learn the ins and outs of linux." Then it became "we'll make a distro for other companies to put bootable games on, so the computer can be used like a console gaming system (e.g. Playstation.)" Then it was "let's go non-profit." Seems like they were trying to do too much. Maybe Danny-o got burnt out. Oh well, I wish the future of the project good luck.

Markku

#4 2004-04-27 13:01:53

zeppelin
Website

well the problem with Daniel, that he did have money.
and eventhough Gentoo is growing he still has a dept. [I saw that in a mail of him] continue reading the comments in OSNews and you'll find the link.

Free Software is good.
The point is that everyone forgets the Software Tax thing that FSF and RMS have said.

On the news today, SUN said RH a proprietaty distro.
Seems SUN knows more about GPL and Free Software.
I remind the FLOSS projects of SUN:
Solaris,
JAVA,
JAVA DESKTOP,

Of course SUN just signed with MS to co-work.
All these shows that the companies are there because they want to make money. smile that's normal one can say.
So FLOSS has no friend companies.

That's why Gentoo switch to a non-profit organization and mimitates [as far as I can tell] the Debian GNU/Linux model.

Judd in the future, might think like Daniel thinks. [a bit disappointed, a bit frustrated, a bit bored because of all these years work with just fame [and no money]]
Judd me, you and Daniel are human beings. And such movements are excepted to happen from some person from once in a while.

#5 2004-04-27 19:03:55

lanrat

Ok. Now I'm scared :shock:  :-)
Forum panic...

#6 2004-04-27 22:42:29

aCoder
Website

PANIC!!

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#7 2004-04-27 23:18:17

rls

I have three distros on my box, Slack, Arch and Gentoo. Slack provides a last-resort, backup. Arch and Gentoo are for enjoyment and education.

With a subscription, Slack charges $25 per release for the CDs. With one or two releases per year, the sum is minimal unless one truly is a "starving student."

What about a moral obligation of $25/year to use Arch, unless you are a developer, package maintainer, documenter, ..., in which case the moral obligation is waived.

Nobody, at least very few, are going to work forever, or can afford to, for only the glory, as noted in several previous posts.

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#8 2004-04-27 23:52:24

zeppelin
Website

rls, I agree with you. That's why I try to be not just a user

Board footer