You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-07 13:28:13

darweth

Annoying inconsistent udev/HAL/dbus external USB HDD detection...

Hello!  I am a newbie to ARCH.  When I first installed it, my USB drive almost always was detected AND auto-mounted upon booting into GNOME.  It was beautiful.  This shows that I have DBUS/HAL and all that nice stuff installed. 

After a while, I decided to update my daemons as below.  (i added portmap and fam --- that is all!)

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network portmap fam dbus hal netfs crond alsa openntpd gdm)

Anyway... now the USB external drive is never automatically detected or mounted, period.  I have to boot into GNOME, THEN unplug the USB cable... wait a bit... plug it back in.  Then it is detected.  Then I have to manually do:

mount /dev/sda5 /media/usb
mount /dev/sda6 /media/usb

to mount them.  This is very annoying. 

Is there anyway to get consistent detection and auto-mounting behavior???  It was working fine the first few times.  No idea where I went wrong, friends. sad

btw... i am in the proper groups for my user too, though that is irrelevant because if i wasn't, it would still show up, just give me a security msg preventing mounting - GROUPS = disk wheel ftp dbus hal network video audio optical storage camera power users pacman

Last edited by darweth (2007-04-07 13:42:39)

#2 2007-04-07 22:19:29

darweth

Re: Annoying inconsistent udev/HAL/dbus external USB HDD detection...

Well, I eventually discovered the necessity of gnome-volume-manager and all is fine now. smile  No more help needed.  Weird that the behavior was bipolar w/o it though.

Board footer