You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-09 11:26:52

Sole

confusion with hal, autofs, xfce

Hi there I've recently switched to Archlinux from ubuntu, since it looks like a good distro for learning linux, and so far so good, but I'm quite confused with the problems I'm getting regarding automounting my external hdd, I've searched through the forums and most people doesn't seem to have problems using HAL and dbus, but I could not find anything on wiki about automounting other than using autofs, so that is what I'm using, but there're a few problems.

As far as I can tell my external usb hdds are autodetected and icons were put on the desktop within xfce, but they don't automount itself unless I double click on it, also my ntfs partition gave me a permission error when I tried to access it, that was before I use autofs, but I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

Onto autofs, I got it working fine and my vfat partition automount sucessfully during startup with the daemon, however my ntfs partition is giving me another error when I try to access it, and also my dvd drive seems to have messed up too. My ntfs partition and dvd drive gave me an error of "Cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mtab" when I try to access them, any idea how I can fix this error?

Sorry I'm quite new to this and I'm quite confused with how hal and automounting works, adding autofs just adds another layer of confusion ontop of it, any help would be appreciated, thanks. Sorry for the long post.

Not sure if I should make another post about this but also my xfce-mpc-plugin isn't working right, I added it and it shows, but it will disappear (crash?) when I put my mouse above it, I got mpd working and sonata plays music just fine, but I just can't get the plugin to work, anyone knows why?

#2 2007-04-09 18:51:00

Captain Spaulding
Website

Re: confusion with hal, autofs, xfce

You need a userspace volume manager, such as ivman or tunar-volman. I don't know which, if any, is available through pacman.

#3 2007-04-09 20:55:49

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

As for your ntfs problem, make sure to identify the fs type as ntfs-3g in fstab, and add your user to the "storage" group. wink

#4 2007-04-09 21:35:16

Sole

Well I never planned to use ntfs-3g for write support, since I wanted to just get it working as write only first, but thanks for bringing up fstab, I added in the entries in /etc/fstab and it seems to work fine now, both partitions worked fine (ntfs-3g works fine too smile). Still am confused a bit because I don't think I'd want to edit my fstab when hotplugging another hdd? However this works because I only have 1 external hdd and I always have it plugged in, just not sure if this set up will cause any problems if I hotplug in a different hdd in the future.

So I disabled autofs, thunar's automount and just added in the partition info in /etc/fstab along with ntfs-3g and partitions seem to work correctly at boot. Thanks for the help, I appreciated it.

Now only problem left is that I CAN'T stop the mpd daemon from running no matter what, after I got it to run, having the Shutting down music player daemon Fail everytime I restart now, and xfce4-mpc-plugin still just disappear from the panel no matter what.

Edit: xfce4-mpc-plugin works again changing from the icon theme I'm using, but disappears every once a while >.>

Last edited by Sole (2007-04-10 03:05:45)

Board footer