You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-09 05:01:31

computercolin

mythtv right channel audio squeel

I'm having a problem with mythtv and audio. For some reason, when I view TV in myth or record it, I get an high pitched alternating squeal which spurts for about a second and then stops for a second and so on.
I'm using a old bt878 card patched into my sound cards audio in jack. I have tried patching into both the mic and line in jack and both produce the squeal. However, I don't think it is a hardware problem. When I test the system using kdetv, there is no squeal at all. When I unmute line in using alsamixer so that I can hear both the live audio and myth's recorded audio, only mythtv's audio has the squeal. Using alsamixer to turn the master volume down to 0 in the right channel removes the squeal (but also right channel sound). However, using alsamixer to turn the recording device down two 0 in the right channel does not remove the squeal, but only removes the right channel audio.
I honestly don't know what the problem is. Could it be a mythtv recording problem? Could it be a codec problem? Could it be a DSP problem?
Is there some way I could test DSP to see if the squeal exists there?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Colin

#2 2007-04-10 02:35:56

computercolin

Re: mythtv right channel audio squeel

Ok, Í've done a little more fooling around. I changed the recording profile sample rate to 48000 which helped a fair amount. Now the squeal doesn't switch on and off. But now I get this weird thump noise about every 4 seconds, sort of like a static blip. Again this doesn't occur in other programs from mythtv. Any ideas?

Colin

Board footer