You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-10 05:20:52

nehsa

MPD help

I'm trying to get MPD setup for Icecast but am running into trouble.  I have Icecast running and can get to it at localhost:8000 but when I try and run MPD I get the following:

[nehsa@server ~]$ sudo mpd
Password:
quality (line 117) and bitrate (line 118) are both defined for shout output

Which doesn't sound like an error...

When I try mpc or ncmpc I get this:

[nehsa@server ~]$ sudo mpc
MPD_HOST and/or MPD_PORT environment variables are not set
error: problems getting a response from "localhost" on port 6600 : Connection refused

I've read through the forums within Arch and MPD but cannot find a solution.  One thing to note, I do not have a sound card in my server, is it required for MPD? 

Thanks for any help

Last edited by nehsa (2007-04-10 05:21:20)

#2 2007-04-10 07:45:33

nehsa

Re: MPD help

I figured this out.. and feel silly.  After re-reading this WIKI I found the problem:

http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Configuration

Specifically:
quality "5.0" and bitrate "64" set the quality of your stream. You can (and must) only set one of them. I suppose that quality is for variable bitrate Ogg/Vorbis, and bitrate for constant bitrate. Can anyone confirm this?
To be more clear:
quality "5.0" and bitrate "64" set the quality of your stream. You can (and must) only set one of them. I suppose that quality is for variable bitrate Ogg/Vorbis, and bitrate for constant bitrate. Can anyone confirm this?

#3 2007-04-10 17:35:39

stonecrest

Re: MPD help

nehsa wrote:

I suppose that quality is for variable bitrate Ogg/Vorbis, and bitrate for constant bitrate. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't think this is the case. If you set a quality, even for constant bitrate, the constant bitrate that's chosen to meet that quality most likely wouldn't equal the bitrate that you've specified.

The point is that specifying a bitrate sets the quality, and specifying a quality sets the bitrate. You can't do both.

I am a gated community.

Board footer