You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-09 19:49:08

nehsa

Setting up Arch as a gateway

As I have some time off work I'd like to get started on a project.  I'm not sure where to go or what topics to search for so guidence is mainly what I'm looking for with this post.

I setup a new machine with Arch and would like to change my network from this:

Internet -> Router -> Rest of house

to this:

Internet -> Arch Server -> Router -> Rest of house

My first question is how to get the two nics installed in my Arch machine to pass traffic back and forth?  The point of this is I want to setup IPTables as a firewall (next project) and be able to prevent access to websites for the other computers in the house.

After I get the above setup, I want to setup the following:

ShoutCAST server (or equivilent), any tips?
Roaming profiles and authenication for my Windows machines.  I have no idea how to do this..

I'm not expecting someone to sit down and write out how to do this but if anyone knows of a good website or what topics I should be researching that would be great!

Thanks

#2 2007-04-10 18:33:29

jerem

Re: Setting up Arch as a gateway

To forward traffic, there are 3 things to check :

- Your nics must have correct IP settings

- You must enable forwarding in the kernel by :
editing /etc/conf.d/iptables OR
editing the sysctl variable directly OR
echoing 1 to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

- Your FORWARD chain from the FILTER table must have a default policy set to ACCEPT :

iptables -L

is the command to read the current state of netfilter
and

iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

to set it right

#3 2007-04-10 19:01:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Setting up Arch as a gateway

Nothing specific to offer, just some general advice: there is nothing, or very little, that is Arch-specific about doing any of the things you mentioned, so Google for howtos and see what you can find. Don't forget to check the wiki first, though, in case someone's already written it up. And when you have everything running, write it up yourself. smile

Incidentally, you could also replace your router with a switch, implement all the routing functionality you need in your Arch box (probably superior to whatever your router provides, unless you've got a high-end Cisco or something like that smile ), and do

Internet -> Arch Server/Router -> Switch -> Rest of house

Board footer