You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-27 18:30:51

Corneliax
Website

Outstanding work on archlinux

I just thought I'd take a minute to post about how pleased I am with Arch.

Over the past few weeks, I have tried out a handful of linux distributions including Gentoo, Slackware, Debian, Suse, and Fedora Core.  I'm a bit of a distribution junkie you could say, and I had nearly settled on Slackware when I say a post about archlinux.  The poster claimed Slackware simplicity with Gentoo speed (not when it comes to neverending compiling...) for Arch, and since those two mentioned distributions were among my favorites, I figured I'd give Arch a try.

I was amazed how quickly and easilly the install went.  Configuring the system was a breeze with pacman and after adding some added modules to rc.conf and configuring alsa, I was pretty much all set.  I'm using a Compaq Evo N800c laptop right now, but my plan was to find a good distribution to put on a new desktop this summer.  I figured if I can get something running perfectly on a laptop (acpi fun), I should have no problem when it comes to a custom built machine.  Well, everything is running perfectly, and an added bonus is that my system starts up as fast or slightly faster than XP!  Thanks to everyone involved in Arch, including the very helpful forum posters.

Dave

#2 2004-04-27 23:29:49

Zephirias

Re: Outstanding work on archlinux

I agree. I just started with it yesterday (though I'm not a Linux newbie, I've used it for almost two years), and I love it already. The Pacman system is great, and the package updating is superb. I still have some configuring to do yet, but the fact that my system boots from GRUB in about 20 seconds on my 500Mhz machine impresses me a whole lot. I'll probably be sticking with Arch for a long time. smile

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

Board footer