You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-09 01:22:24

upsidaisium
Website

kernel panic after install on my laptop..

so i have a laptop which for the longest time had a really messed up gentoo install on it, so i figured i'd put arch on it since i've had such a good experience with it on my desktop (this machine).  the laptop doesn't have a cd drive so i did a floppy/ftp install of 0.7.2, which seemed to work just fine.  when i first booted it up, my grub menu entry looked like this:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda3 ro vga=773
initrd /initrd26.img

so i tried that, and i got a file not found error because of the initrd line--but no problem, i'll just change it to:

initrd kernel26.img

and all my problems will be solved!  right..?  no sad

after also adding "rootfstype=ext3" to the kernel line, and attempting to boot, i get as far as:

:: Initramfs Completed - control passing to kinit
kinit: Cannot open root device dev(0,0)
kinit: init not found!
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

..and i'm stuck for a solution to this problem!  i've done some searching around the forums, without turning up much of anything useful.  i've also tried using "kernel26-fallback.img", which doesn't seem to make any difference.. it panics at the same spot.

so what on earth have i done wrong?? neutral

[edit: and i think there was also a line along the lines of "IP-Config: no devices to configure" before the kernel panic..]

Last edited by upsidaisium (2007-04-09 01:25:27)

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#2 2007-04-09 01:37:41

STiAT

Re: kernel panic after install on my laptop..

Hello,

Please read this post carefully, misunderstandings often lead in confusion, the major changes are about sda/hda, in your fstab and grub configuration.
Most likely, after a upgrade to 0.8, you will have to perform the following steps:

Modify your /boot/grub/menu.lst

title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

You also will need to modify your /etc/fstab, changing hda to sda.

Note:
If this fails (change from hda/sda) you still can use load piix as earlymodule in the kernel line. This should just occur on special hardware configurations, most likely intel (pentium 4 and below).

kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro earlymodules=piix

After this, you will have to change to hda instead of sda again.

A personal note on this question: It has been asked, discussed and answered about 100 times on the boards. I think with a bit more intensive searching you'd have found answers.

Kind regards,
STi

Last edited by STiAT (2007-04-09 01:42:33)

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#3 2007-04-12 23:59:20

upsidaisium
Website

Re: kernel panic after install on my laptop..

thanks for your suggestions stiat.  it's much appreciated.  to be perfectly honest though, the notion of switching instances of "hda" to "sda" didn't make any sense to me--and it didn't seem to work either.  here's what got my system to boot: (menu.lst)

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda3 ro earlymodules=piix
initrd /kernel26-fallback.img

so now i'm not really sure what's going to happen when i do system upgrades... neutral  i'm afraid that another update to my kernel could cause problems that i won't be able to fix.  but i guess i'll just have to find out whenever it happens smile

and i'll keep in mind that i should search a bit more thoroughly before creating threads.. i was just frustrated, i suppose..

EDIT: i just did a sysupgrade, and things are working just fine! smile  (now using kernel26.img, not the fallback..)

Last edited by upsidaisium (2007-04-13 00:44:48)

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

Board footer