You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-12 15:21:45

Master One

Gnome 2.18 + Beryl?

I was thinking about trying Beryl as WM for my upcoming Gnome installation on my laptop, and was just reading through some stuff which makes me wonder, if it's really a recommended and easy step under the actual circumstances. The wiki tells to just "pacman -Sy beryl-gnome", but this thread tells, that heliodor does not work with Gnome 2.18 and a pkgbuild is provided for it. The other concern is the announced core-merge of Beryl & Compiz, and because I did not follow the progress on Beryl / Compiz at all, I wonder how this will affect users concerning future updates.

#2 2007-04-12 15:30:33

paulr

Re: Gnome 2.18 + Beryl?

Yep, well I'm running beryl under gnome 2.18 and it works fine. It's bleeding edge, so it's a bit more unstable than metacity WM is, but still pretty stable.

Besides installing beryl-gnome you also have to change xorg.conf as documented in the Wiki.

The only other problems are

(i) if you fetch themes then it will sometimes give a "tar" error ; this is a known Beryl problem.
(ii) Netbeans doesn't run properly, even with the fix suggested in the Wiki. It's easy to change back to metacity from the beryl-manager app.

As regards compiz, I would imagine it will make its way into the repos soon enough ; when it is you can just remove the Beryl/Heliodor stuff and install compiz instead - if it's a real problem you can archive up your /home directory and /var/cache/pacman/pkg and reinstall ; it takes about 20 minutes smile

Last edited by paulr (2007-04-12 15:33:21)

#3 2007-04-13 05:36:52

skelly831

Re: Gnome 2.18 + Beryl?

Beryl installation is pretty straight forward, I just followed the wiki's instructions and it went smoothly, but then again I'm not running any bleeding-edge vid cards or hi-res widescreen monitors. I haven't had any problems on an Intel 945 express integrated VGA and a 1280x1024 monitor.

Board footer