You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-13 21:13:40

slackhack

upgrade messages idea

sometimes when i upgrade  i miss the messages because i'm busy doing something else, i leave the computer, or it's a big upgrade and i don't want to sit there and watch everything, etc.

i thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated directory for upgrade notes, like /etc/pacman.d/messages /etc/pacman.d/upgrades, or something like that, where upgrade messages could be installed as a dated text file, or some other way (by application, etc.). then even if you weren't at the computer or were doing something else during the upgrade, you could just check the messages in the directory afterward and not have missed anything (and have to ask dumb questions on the forum tongue). anyone else think that would be a good idea?

Last edited by slackhack (2007-04-13 21:14:11)

#2 2007-04-13 21:38:38

byte

Re: upgrade messages idea

Pacman 3 logs output from .install files to /var/log/pacman.log ... it's not very pretty (as there is no standard on how to format such messages) but does exactly what you want.

#3 2007-04-13 22:59:48

pelle.k

I agree.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#4 2007-04-13 23:43:45

slackhack

byte wrote:

Pacman 3 logs output from .install files to /var/log/pacman.log ... it's not very pretty (as there is no standard on how to format such messages) but does exactly what you want.

i don't see any messages in there, though, just a log of what packages were upgraded. :?:

just to clarify, supposedly there was a message with the recent xfce4 upgrade to run grep -r /opt ~/.config/xf*  so you could upgrade your paths, and that message isn't in my pacman.log. i'm talking about stuff like that, and like when udev is upgraded there's a message to check the udev readme.txt file, etc. it just seems like it would be convenient to have those preserved so in case you missed them as they roll by during the upgrade you can just check them later.

#5 2007-04-14 00:07:40

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Yes, these messages are being  logged in pacman 3. Do you use pacman 3? If so, did you installed/updated a package that was displaying such messages?

Board footer