You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-13 14:12:01

slackhack

XFCE4 broke after last upgrade

just upgraded and now xfce4 has no root menu, some of the panel icons are gone or distorted, and it's not loading my background. i wonder if this is just a session manager problem, or if it's more than that. downgrading would be such a hassle because of all the packages - anyone else seeing this or have a fix?

>> okay, i just downgraded the session manager to 4.4.0-1, and that fixed the menu and background problems. i downgraded the xfce4 icons, but that didn't fix the weird and missing icons. the panel won't downgrade without also downgrading a ton of plugins, and i'm too lazy so i'm not going to bother with that. tongue as long as i have the right click menu and shortcut keys i can deal with it for now. i guess some bug reports should be filed if more people can verify the problems, though. thnkx.

>>edit2: i also notice that i lost the 3 options in the logout manager. now a completely different window comes up that just says Exit Xfce4 Panel? with an option to Quit or Cancel, no more options to shutdown, restart, or logout. strange, since that's always worked fine in any 4.4. :?:

Last edited by slackhack (2007-04-13 14:30:23)

#2 2007-04-13 14:49:32

zenlord
Website

Re: XFCE4 broke after last upgrade

When I installed Arch earlier this week, with XFCE, I had the problem that my settings would not be saved and upon changing a setting in the settings manager, my panel would crash.

Ultimately I found out that my permissions on ~ were borked somehow. Maybe this can help? If not, do you find an entry in the Xsession.log (or something like that)?

Zl.

#3 2007-04-13 15:49:38

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The 4.4.1 packages on Arch have been compiled to install in /usr, before they were in /opt/xfce4.

Your background missing probably comes from xfdesktop not managing your desktop - check your settings:

$ xfce-setting-show

You should also check the paths of icon themes (probably in /usr already) and WM themes (for xfwm4, which were in /opt/xfce4 until now).

As for your session logout/restart/shutdown dialog, if you set up shutdown as a user according to the Arch Wiki (i.e. with sudo), you should change the path of the xfsm-shutdown-helper in /etc/sudoers, from it's old /opt/xfce4 path to the new /usr one wink.

Last edited by B (2007-04-13 15:51:06)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2007-04-13 16:06:17

slackhack

xfce is managing my desktop, and the background is in the same place as it's always been. not sure why xfce suddenly wouldn't read it. :?:

there's no option in the properties of most of these system icons (logout, volume control, the settings manager panel icons, etc.) to change the icon -- for most of them, the icon isn't even there. where do i change those paths?

btw, what's the problem with the menu in the new session manager? is that a path issue, too? i'm just wondering why i have to change all these low-level system paths manually. shouldn't xfce4 updates not be released until it's been properly configured with the correct paths, so the user doesn't have to search around in text files all over the system to change icon and menu paths just to be able to have a root menu again?

Last edited by slackhack (2007-04-13 16:58:50)

#5 2007-04-14 13:47:17

slackhack

still having problems with icons. i edited all the files that came up with grep -r /opt ~/.config/xf* and changed the paths, but icons are still messed up/missing for a lot of things. specifically, about half the icons in the settings manager panel are missing ( :freak: why would only half disappear?), the logout icon on the panel is 2-3X bigger than it should be, and the volume control and logout/restart/shutdown icons are gone. any other paths i can check? is there a cache or something that needs to be cleared?

#6 2007-04-14 13:59:49

baze

i had that problem too. hicolor-icon-theme was installed, but all icons installed in that dir were missing. just reinstalling hicolor-icon-theme solved that for me, so i guess that some kind of cache wasn't updated. you might want to reinstall hicolor-icon-theme and see if that works for you aswell.

#7 2007-04-14 15:39:14

slackhack

baze wrote:

i had that problem too. hicolor-icon-theme was installed, but all icons installed in that dir were missing. just reinstalling hicolor-icon-theme solved that for me, so i guess that some kind of cache wasn't updated. you might want to reinstall hicolor-icon-theme and see if that works for you aswell.

thanks, that did it! i was looking all over for which ones those were and i couldn't find them. tongue i just have to fix the logout icon, b/c that's still huge, but all the rest are there. cool

had to go with sudo to get the logout options, and found out my default setting to use the xfce session manager wasn't getting saved, so now everything's pretty much back to normal. thanks everyone.

</close thread>

Last edited by slackhack (2007-04-14 15:39:41)

Board footer