You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-28 18:24:33

vrillusions
Website

/dev/hda1 or /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1?

I'm not really a newbie, but this sounds like a newbieish question.  In all the previous distros I've used, everything was referenced using the symbolic links like /dev/hda1.  When I installed AL, it used the real long "actual" locations.  Is there any advantages/disadvantages to using one over the other?  The reason I'm asking is because the output of the df command apparently uses whatever format is specified in the fstab file.  so since it's entered into fstab using the long one, the the output for each partition is on two lines (one for the location, the other with all the vitals).  This is of concern to me because I have a script that occasionally checks the disk space and sends me an email when its getting full.  Well it just analizes it line by line, so the email would tell me when one is getting full, but not tell me which one.  Sure it's simple enough to just log in and do a df on the terminal, but it's the whole concept of the thing that matters.  Plus I could make my fstab file that much smaller by referencing the links and not using the full names.  Thanks for any input.

#2 2004-04-28 18:33:20

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: /dev/hda1 or /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1?

As far as I know, the device is the same even if the links are different.  devfs uses the longer names, and Arch uses devfs. However, I think (ie: I may be wrong) that nothing would break if you switched to traditional names.

Dusty

#3 2004-04-28 18:33:31

vrillusions
Website

UPDATE

ok, I actually went ahead and changed it in the fstab and df still shows the full path.  Is this a compile option or something?

although I did notice that using the -P option will throw everything on one line, it's just really long, so I may just be able to use that.

#4 2004-04-29 02:19:57

slyski

DEVFS!   you still using that junk  lol

i said fair well to /dev/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/blah/partblah while taking the leap
to udev and hotplug.

somewhere it was stated  that the devfs entries where being diminished and taken out bit
by bit. i noticed that my ability to connect to my camera and usb memory stick was crippled.
i had to take action and go for it.

now i am back to using the more reasonable /dev/hda1, /dev/fd0, /dev/camera, /dev/usb_stick,
etc. using udev.

see this post on howto:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=3786

slyski

Joey: If a cow passes away from natural causes can I eat it.
Pheobe: Not if I get there first.

Board footer