You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-16 10:32:34

oscar.cambieri

Differences between xfce in extra and xfce-svn in community?

Hello. I'm a very happy user of arch and xfce.
I'm wondering if is there some good reason to use xfce-svn (now in community) instead of xfce (extra). I like very much to have the last programs, but I also like stability, of course. Why two version of xfce and only one for gnome and kde, for example?
I have had some little (resolved) trouble with the move of the desktop manager from opt to usr and I'm realy not sure this movement is a good solution. Xfce is quiet self-contained to stay in opt for me. Anyway this is the decision of the developers and they surely have good reason. They give us a great distro, so I usually have no doubt on what they do! :-)
I think we still miss the upgrade to some packages like notification-daemon-xfce, still in opt and not working at the moment.
And, last but not least, which is the "arch way" to contact the pakage manteiner to signal problems with upgrades or packages?
Thanks and regards.
Oscar

#2 2007-04-16 22:14:40

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Differences between xfce in extra and xfce-svn in community?

Currently, as xfce 4.4 was recently released, there's not a lot of difference between xfce and xfce-svn so you might want to use xfce in extra. It'll be more stable as the svn will see a lot of upcoming changes.

The reason for xfce-svn is that just before xfce 4.4 was officially released, the svn code was already stable and it had many new features. And a dev was willing to maintain it.

For notification-daemon-xfce, submit a bug report if it hasn't been done yet. The bug tracker( http://bugs.archlinux.org/ ) is the best way to to report bugs/feature request.

#3 2007-04-17 16:09:29

oscar.cambieri

Re: Differences between xfce in extra and xfce-svn in community?

Thanks very much!
Exactly the answers that i was waiting for.

Greetings.

O.

Board footer