You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-10 01:15:54

coffeemonster

KERNEL 2.6.19-BEYOND with INGO MOLNAR patch; possible request?

Hey folks;

I'm really curious to know if it is possible for me to patch my Linux kernel with the ingo molnar premption patch;

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/

I do a lot of computer based recording, and i think this would be the final fix i need to make a complete migration Windows. I'm using arch 2.6.19-beyond - and I am really enjoying it.

It would be such a help to me, if somebody could explain to me how i can get arch with that molnar patch and what i need to do. I spent the evening trying to build a vanilla kernel with the patch and failed terribly. So if i can, i would prefer to stick with arch...it runs nice on my pc.

Thank you!

#2 2007-04-10 07:10:14

lucke

Re: KERNEL 2.6.19-BEYOND with INGO MOLNAR patch; possible request?

Run "abs extra", navigate to /var/abs/extra/kernels/kernel26beyond, add appropriate rt patch to the source array, add patch command in a build() (accordingly to other patch commands there), change "yes "" | make config" line to "make oldconfig" and run makepkg. Most probably it won't apply cleanly to beyond though - if that's the case, try the same with kernel26 in /var/abs/kernels/kernel26 (run "abs base" first).

#3 2007-04-10 18:08:01

btartsa

Hey coffeemonster,
there was a thread started in user contributions http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=30547 a bit back regarding pro audio. Also a wiki page. Both sadly have been silent for a while. I will do some experimenting with this patch too...hopefully on CK.

#4 2007-04-10 23:58:53

coffeemonster

Hey lucke; I find your instructions a little confusing, i'm sure they are perfectly comprehensive in the hands of a more experienced linuxer, but in my hands they are about as useful as a tin of baked beans are to a sea urchin...

If you get time, would it be possible for you to expand a little more? I really appreciate your help.

Btartsa, i noticed that posn wiki, and it sounds(ed) really promising. I think Archlinux could be a great distro for music production, it is so speedy and smooth on my laptop. I really find it a pleasure to use.

It would be neally cool if you could get that patch working on CK! I look forward to your responses!

I can get my computer to handle 10ms latency without xruns and pops, but i need it to be better than that.  My laptop is a Pentium 4 Centrino 1.8ghz, 512mb ram, 60gb hardrive, UA-25 external USB interface. I have heard stories of audio users with a lesser system, achieving <2ms latency...what you say?

Cheerio for now

#5 2007-04-11 09:21:10

iphitus
Forum Fellow

won't patch onto CK, CK implements it's own scheduler, whereas ingo's RT patches patch onto the vanilla scheduler.

Given a properly configured system, you should be able to do audio fine on straight CK -- just ensure you have rlimits/rtlimits (i always forget which is which) configured right to give the application in question realtime priority.

James

#6 2007-04-16 19:24:09

btartsa

james,
thanks for the input. it seems that regardless of kernel jack refuses to run realtime (in qjackctl settings there is an option) so this patch may actually be necessary. On that issue I failed to get that patch to compile with our standard kernel.

#7 2007-04-17 11:28:01

iphitus
Forum Fellow

btartsa wrote:

james,
thanks for the input. it seems that regardless of kernel jack refuses to run realtime (in qjackctl settings there is an option) so this patch may actually be necessary. On that issue I failed to get that patch to compile with our standard kernel.

as I said, look up rlimits/rtlimits, i forget which it is, which is a method of giving an application realtime privelidges. Applications can't just ask for it and receive it, they need to be approved to receive it.

I'm fairly sure you can use schedtool after starting jack to give it realtime prio too. Schedtool is in the repos somewhere.

James

#8 2007-04-17 18:04:34

btartsa

Hmm...so rlimits allows apps to run realtime even without a patch or realtime being enabled in the kernel config? How is that possible? I am building a kernel from scratch using this howto http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/inde … _RT_Kernel and  can't see how this makes sense. Thanks again.

Oh concerning Jack: ask and ye shall receive but only if it's there to be had...right?

Last edited by btartsa (2007-04-17 18:06:41)

Board footer