You are not logged in.

#1 2003-02-05 21:27:36

elanthis
Website

GNOME2.2 Notes

First, yes, GNOME2.2 is out today.  Yay GNOME users.

And it will still probably be a bit before Arch has packages.  First, there are several dependency issues.  GNOME2.2 requires Xft2/Fontconfig, which are ugly to install on a machine without XFree86 4.3.  That should be out quite soon, however, and if not, I might figure out a clean way to get those packages in without having the ugly hacks other distros try to use.

GNOME2.2 requires GStreamer for several components (notably the media player apps, including the sound recorder, and Rhythmbox).  However, GStreamer cannot run on a box with a glibc compiled for i686 (a la arch) because of some bug interactions in the threading interface.

And, finally, building GNOME2.2, including checking all the gconf keys, weird crashes, etc., takes an extremely long amount of time.  I have an older release candidate built and working (save for the multi-media bits, which crash and burn in the GStreamer core), and it'll probably take a day or two just to upgrade those packages to the release, and debug them, and that's pretending I don't have work and school to contend with.  ;-)

For those who just can't wait at all, I'd suggest checking out Garnome (http://ww.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome).  It'll "work," until the official packages are all pretty and working and such.

What?

#2 2003-02-19 01:17:25

elanthis
Website

Re: GNOME2.2 Notes

Just an update for the 2.45 people that care, I've gotten the GNOME2.2 packages mostly working.  There's just some crashes here and there I need to sort and, and bunches of dependency checking (also, I can't get gnome-terminal/vte to build yet - haven't tracked down why).

What?

#3 2003-02-19 01:56:11

sarah31
Website

funky dung beetles i don't use gnome but i always have it there in case i ever want it. it waaaaay better than that other DE.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-02-19 08:02:12

Arielext
Website

sarah31 wrote:

funky dung beetles i don't use gnome but i always have it there in case i ever want it. it waaaaay better than that other DE.

Don't lie sarah tongue

apt-get install arch

#5 2003-02-19 11:56:03

sarah31
Website

bah !  :x

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2003-02-26 02:26:54

elanthis
Website

OK, just a few issues left before I can make the packages "live":

a) Pretty much every GNOME package needs install scripts for its gconf keys (ugh), so that'll take a lot of cut-n-pasting, then rebuilding.

b) GNOME Terminal crashes hard, but that might be related to it not having its gconf settings installed.

c) fontconfig needs some fixing if it is to actually work right.

But I'm working at them...

What?

Board footer