You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-17 21:51:26

linuxinit
Website

Xfce 4.4 Branch Window Focus Issues

Back when I moved from xfce-svn to the 4.4 branch, there was a bug that caused windows to not stick to the desktop in which they originate, and to move to the current desktop when for example, opening a url from thunderbird into firefox which resides on a different desktop.

Anyways... I enabled focous stealing prevention and this 'fixed' it. This was already a horrible work-around since now if I open a terminal or something it's not always brought to the front as it should be.

Well... with the recent move of xfce from /opt to /usr, this is completely broken now. When I click on a url in thunderbird or my RSS reader, firefox is brought to the current desktop instead of sticking to the one it was previously on. Not only that, but it's sometimes not brought to the top. To me... if a window is going to be pulled to the current desktop, then it seems that it should be pushed to the top as well. It's broken regardless.

So... there are two problems here...

With focus stealing prevention turned off, windows shouldn't move to the current desktop. This is the previous behavior of XFCE. Now, when using the workaround, it still doesn't function correctly since the window is brought to the current desktop. The second problem is that when the window IS moved... (even though it shouldn't be)... it's not brought into focus, but only moved to the current desktop.

There is a bug report on this here:

http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2961

Regardless... I don't have this problem with any other distros, including Slackware using the same version of XFCE. This is very very very annoying. No matter what I do, window behavior is random at best. I could almost live with the fact that the window will be brought to the current desktop... but if it is, I want it brought into focus. This just makes sense.

#2 2007-04-17 22:14:22

psyBSD

Re: Xfce 4.4 Branch Window Focus Issues

This is what you are looking for:

http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce4 … 22912.html

It is a 'fix' since 4.4.1

Last edited by psyBSD (2007-04-17 22:15:16)

#3 2007-04-17 22:26:26

linuxinit
Website

I love you.

I love you...

I love you!

I found references to that, but I could never find the exact line that went in the config file.

I wuv you wif mouf!1eleven

Seriously man... Thanks a million... smile

#4 2007-04-17 22:32:32

psyBSD

Next time, could you please be patient instead of asking the same question inside two topics?

#5 2007-04-17 22:39:02

linuxinit
Website

Umm... No. wink

I realized that topic was for the subversion version. I've been ignoring this for months, and I finally snapped. I started to throw my monitor through the window. I've always wanted to do that anyways...

I finally snapped and we are lucky that a double post is all that came of it. tongue

Board footer