You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-17 09:21:08

lloeki
Website

An OSS project survival guide

As the arch community steadily grows, it becomes increasingly friendly, and reminds me of the gentoo folks back in the day (wiki richness, friendliness and knowledge of people on IRC and forums, etc...). This is both a good thing, and somehow frightening for arch's future, given the state of affairs at gentoo when I left (which is, among other reasons, why I left)... I mean, things just  give me a really weird feeling lately over there...

And some time ago, I stumbled upon this talk (How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People), by the svn guys, which is extremely interesting and (to me) felt so appropriate in the gentoo case, as it seems (again, to me) that's exactly what they failed to do ~ since drobbins left.

well, stopping digressions right now before I get hit by a flamethrower wink

when watching the talk, the methods seem so obvious, yet so efficient, I hope they would be useful to anyone around (esp. as the methods just work for pretty much any project).

To know recursion, you must first know recursion.

#2 2007-04-17 15:25:38

patroclo7

Re: An OSS project survival guide

I am pretty convinced that the arch community is so good not only for the intrinsic qualities of the people constituting it, but also because it is small. You always have a rough knowledge of the people you interact with, of their skills and behavioral peculiarities. It is also quite easy to identify and ignore a flamethrower, since it has few posts and immediately pretend to criticize everything. Anyway the talk is interesting, thanks.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#3 2007-04-18 01:01:03

Zer0

Watched it and I have to say it was a good video..

previously posted in this thread
Is Arch's future more secure than Gentoo's present???

Might be an interesting read for you lloeki since you left Gentoo for reasons like those mentioned in the post & article!

#4 2007-04-19 22:17:41

chaosgeisterchen

In some older thread I already mentioned my thoughts concerning this video. I do not only regard it as good, I regard is as excellent education for everyone doing virtual socializing (which has to include everyone frequenting the arch forums). Not by 100% but to a large extent one can use it for each and every virtual community when it comes to problems and poisonous people harming the harmony and efficiency of the community.

Helped me a lot with my job as moderator in a small forum. More things of that sort are highly appreciated by me.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

Board footer