You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-19 08:19:21

cschep
Website

Macbook touchpad?

I'm not sure there any many macbook users out there trying to run linux, but if there are...how well does your touch pad work?

I followed the awesome wiki entry (thanks for making that!) and added the synaptics stuff to my xorg.conf and while the response feels fine, the two finger (scrolling and right clicking) seems a bit off.

Most of the time I'm trying to scroll webpages around It ends up taking me forward or backwards.

Anyone having issues? are my expectations too high? The track pad works beautifully in os x.

thanks!

#2 2007-04-19 17:37:18

tom5760
Website

Re: Macbook touchpad?

Thanks for the comment about the wiki article!

But yes, the two fingered scroll in linux is defiantly not up to par with OSX.  I tend to enjoy side scrolling better.  If you set the following values in /etc/xorg conf like so:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "false"
    Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "false"
EndSection

you can scroll vertically by sliding on the right hand edge of the touchpad, and vertically with the bottom edge of th touchpad.

Note: this is just my preference, I think it feels better than linux two fingered scrolling.  Hopefully in the future, it will improve.

@cactus:
I guess you want me to put this in the wiki too? smile

Last edited by tom5760 (2007-04-19 17:38:06)

#3 2007-04-20 07:44:00

Xilon

This problem is not due to the synaptics driver, you are using Firefox right? In about:config change (I think) mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action to 0, and it will stop doing that.

#4 2007-04-20 12:35:27

tom5760
Website

Its not that.  I just feel in general that the two fingered scrolling isn't so good.  Not just in firefox, but in other apps too.  i.e. if your fingers are too close together, it usually just detects one touch instead of two, and some other problems.  if you don't have these problems, could you maybe post your touchpad portion of your xorg.conf?

Board footer