You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-18 02:36:01

abienkow

usbcore module won't load with the new kernel (SOLVED)

I'm not sure at what point this started happening, but now when I try to load the usbcore module I get the following message.

FATAL: Error inserting usbcore (/lib/modules/2.6.20-ARCH/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

and the following shows up at the end of the dmesg output, I search the net but couldn't find anything, I found some reference to ecryptofs, I guess it uses the same call and I get the same error when trying to load it.

---- from dmesg  -----
usbcore: Unknown symbol lookup_one_len_nd
-------------------------

It looks to me that at some point this was added to the new kernel but is not part of the ArchLinux distributions, maybe its missed during the build somewhere, cause I know that the distro uses stock kernel.

My x86_64 machine is still working fine, so I'm not updating that for now.

Last edited by abienkow (2007-04-23 16:46:25)

#2 2007-04-18 11:37:09

oscar.cambieri

Re: usbcore module won't load with the new kernel (SOLVED)

Almost the same here.
Some of my USB disk works some other not. When doesn't work only /dev/sda is created (not /dev/sda1).
Everything works perfectly with kernel26beyond, so I'm using it at the moment.

#3 2007-04-18 12:50:14

abienkow

I've been trying to get some information on the difference between kernel26 and kernel26beyond; any adventages and disadventages but I can't find any website that would describe the difference.

#4 2007-04-18 14:45:27

oscar.cambieri

What I know is that beyond have support for suspend2 (that I like) and various other patches, some of them with emphasis on desktop responsiveness. It also have support for Reiser4 file system. Normally it's not upgraded as soon and quicly as the stock kernel, but for me this is not a problem becouse all of my hardware is supported and working with it at the moment and I prefear stability over stay bleeding-edge.

The current kernel version provided by beyond is still 2.6.19.
The mainteiner have an homepage and this is the link
http://iphitus.loudas.com/index.html

I think you can find more information there.
Greetings

#5 2007-04-23 16:39:35

abienkow

Found the problem, it turns out that when I installed the bata version of ArchLinux 0.8, back in January, was not automaticaly mounting my boot partition under /boot.  Grub was booting from the boot partition and then mouning the root /.

At this point whenever I did an update and the kernel was updated in created a /boot directory and copied files into there.  This way my actualy boot partition was never updated with the new kernel.

No I added the correct values to /etc/fstab so that my boot partition is automatically mounted and copied all the files from my /boot directory to the boot partition. I also removed the content of the /boot directory so that my boot partition can be mounted.

Every think loads correctly now big_smile

Board footer