You are not logged in.

#26 2004-04-29 00:50:17

Zephirias

Re: PC-Phobia

aCoder, all I can say is DOCK. OS X style. We've yet to get a WM with a similar feature. We give the people what they want (including myself, big_smile ) and success will follow.

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#27 2004-04-29 04:11:35

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

aCoder wrote:

3-4 days seems like a reasonable release deadline. wink

I'm assuming I gotta do all the work too, eh? smile

[code]
Seriously, I like the idea of pywm as a codebase, although most of it will probably be unrecognizable by the time it's properly modernized and functional as a windowless window manager.  I just don't think we could get anywhere with plwm, since there's not enough there to provide a good interface to build a desktop, which is really what we need done, since window management would be from scratch.

I haven't looked at the code for either, to be honest. I've got PLWM working, I'm going to try to get a package for PyWM up in a while.

I'm playing with Ion right now. Its a very interesting concept, but I can't figure it all out without being more awake. wink  Got to gather information and concepts before embarking on a new expedition.

Dusty

#28 2004-04-29 05:31:21

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

An idea: can DM (Display Manager, login) and WM be the same (the default WM session)?

I tested with GDM and Fluxbox to have in both same background. Looks friendlier when there is a feeling of staying in the same screen.... the login dialog box dissappears only.
Background:
http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~csucil/arch/archblue.png

Markku

#29 2004-04-29 19:22:55

Zephirias

Nice login, rasat. smile

As for the Login/WM being the same thing, I personally don't know if that's possible, but if it could be, that'd be neat. Most likely you'd just have another login manager for the DE.

Anyway, aCoder, I'd still like to help with ideas or development, if possible.

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#30 2004-04-29 21:04:26

aCoder
Website

I tested with GDM and Fluxbox to have in both same background. Looks friendlier when there is a feeling of staying in the same screen.... the login dialog box dissappears only.

There's no way I know of without at least getting a blank screen in the middle.  It could be possible to have a DM that started a WM first, Windows style, but that would defeat the purpose of having more than one desktop installed, IMO.

I'm assuming I gotta do all the work too, eh?

Of course! wink

I'm playing with Ion right now.

Ion?  Link please!  (Googling for ion didn't work out well!)

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#31 2004-04-29 21:06:39

aCoder
Website

Link please! (Googling for ion didn't work out well!)

Nevermind, it worked, I searched for ion linux, for fear I'd get the car, which I wasn't looking for.  Instead, I got ION Linux, which I also wasn't looking for.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#32 2004-04-29 21:27:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

There's a package for ion in extra.

I have to say that I'm really impressed, my productivity is pretty good now that I've figured out how it works. The default keybindings are kinda weird, but I haven't looked up configuring them, hopefully it won't be too hard.  Lua... what's that? :-D

Its not infinite desktop like we discussed, but it is intelligent workspace management... no overlapping windows!  Kind of weird, but kind of weird is what window management needs!

Dusty

#33 2004-04-30 01:02:48

aCoder
Website

intelligent workspace management... no overlapping windows!

I think the included pwm setup does it a bit better, since the partition/tab window thing really doesn't work well for me, with the smaller screen, unless there's mutiple desktops, or, what I'm hoping for, a really, really big desktop.  Of course, I have sort of a thing against after reading through how it was described on the page, remembering looking at it a while ago, (under rapid dev. then too), then realizing that it's hardly changed, and it's always been ugly, ugly, ugly, not just one, but three uglies, and that's ugly.  Give me the comparitively sexy twm interface anyday.  I also was sort of taken aback by it's partner project pwm stating that fluxbox was a clone of it, and I think it's the same lead.  It's C, and it's either the sloppiest, least informative, it's-my-great-idea-and-it's-staying-that-way code ever, or it's full of absolute genius and insightful comments.  Either way, that guy needs to get some sleep, and maybe some relaxing music, like Led Zeppilin!

I guess the only way to find out is to poke around in it for a while...

- John Cage

#34 2004-04-30 05:39:24

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

aCoder wrote:

Ion?  Link please!  (Googling for ion didn't work out well!)

Have you people never seen things like freshmeat.net or google.com/linux?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#35 2004-04-30 08:49:53

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty wrote:

I'm going to try to get a package for PyWM up in a while.

I didn't make a package for PyWM but a how-to. There are PKGBUILDs for FLTK and Pyrex (PyWM uses fltk-1.0.11, newer version doesn't work)
http://bliss-solutions.org/archlinux/wi … x.php/PyWM

Markku

#36 2004-04-30 16:01:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

acoder: Ion does have multiple work spaces. It is butt ugly, at least, the default drawing code is (haven't looked at changing it), but I figure utility more important than looks. 

google? freshmeat? what funny sounding words.

rasat: you have more patience than me, I'll be trying PyWM sometime next week. Thank ye. smile

Dusty

#37 2004-05-02 17:44:54

aCoder
Website

Ion does have multiple work spaces. It is butt ugly, at least, the default drawing code is (haven't looked at changing it), but I figure utility more important than looks.

I guess pwm is just for looks then, and doesn't do nearly what's needed.

Anyways, I'm leaving tomorrow, for the rest of May, for a school thing, and I'll be back the first week of June.  Maybe I'll bring some good ideas back too...

- John Cage

#38 2004-05-02 18:11:47

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

aCoder wrote:

I guess pwm is just for looks then, and doesn't do nearly what's needed.

yeah, I didn't even realize they were related. Ion is better than pwm, I like tiled rather than floating windows.  Now. :-D

Anyways, I'm leaving tomorrow, for the rest of May, for a school thing, and I'll be back the first week of June.  Maybe I'll bring some good ideas back too...

Have fun, see you then. Think I have you in jabber... yep. smile

Dusty

#39 2004-05-05 16:20:00

robot5x

Maybe an extreme idea for an interface. In fact I think this guy is just mad -
http://research.microsoft.com/displayAr … spx?id=625
"I'm inspired by how computers work in movies. In movies, you never have to login, you never have to type a file name, you never have to remember the URL, or know what a browser is. There's none of these artificial distinctions. Things just happen," said Wilson.
err - it's because it's a movie??!

Board footer