You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-27 16:46:39

funkyou
Website

[solved] nVidia driver does not find my custom kernel

Hi there,

i have built a custom kernel package based on the beyond PKGBUILDs. It works perfectly, but i have one problem. The nVidia drivers does not find my kernel and gives me this error:

If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

After some try and error i found out the following: When i replace these lines

mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}
cp -R $startdir/src/linux-$basekernel/* $startdir/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/
mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include
mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/arch/$KARCH/kernel
for i in acpi asm-generic asm-$KARCH config linux math-emu media net pcmcia scsi sound video; do
cp -a include/$i $startdir/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/
done

with this (dumb) one

cp -R $startdir/src/linux-$basekernel/* $startdir/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/

it works... So i think there are some files missing, but i dont know which ones... These lines above are not changed from the beyond ones, and i really dont know thats missing here, but when i replace them with the one-liner it works but the kernel package has about 100mb...

-EDIT- I changed it back and it works now, but i dont know why... This seems to be very weird, as i didnt install any new packages etc. I just changed back the PKGBUILD and rebuilt the kernel to write up the error message, and suddenly the nvidia driver worked... Another proof of murphys law...

Last edited by funkyou (2007-05-06 08:12:43)

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#2 2007-04-27 17:53:24

klixon

Re: [solved] nVidia driver does not find my custom kernel

What message do you get when you try to compile the nvidia-package?

exact messages please...

One thing to check in the pkgbuild:

# grep EXTRAVERSION PKGBUILD

it should say something like sed -e "s/EXTRAVERSION = .*/EXTRAVERSION = -<patchsetname>/" where <patchsetname> could be beyond (because you copied the PKGBUILD) instead of the name of the patchset with which you're compiling.
If such is the case, $(_kernver) is not equal to "uname -r", which would explain why nvidia-package can't find your sources.

As a side-note... If you're compiling a 2.6.21 based kernel or a patchset including hrt-dyntick-patch, you probably want to include the following in the PKGBUILD, right after the lines you quoted in your first post:

if [ "${KARCH}" == "i386" ]; then
    mkdir ${startdir}/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/asm-x86_64
    cp -a include/asm-x86_64/tsc.h ${startdir}/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/asm-x86_64
  else
    mkdir ${startdir}/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/asm-i386
    cp -a include/asm-i386/tsc.h ${startdir}/pkg/usr/src/linux-${_kernver}/include/asm-i386
  fi

Dynticks-patch sometimes include the x86-64 headers in the i386 header and vice versa...

Last edited by klixon (2007-04-27 18:04:02)

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2007-04-27 19:04:16

funkyou
Website

Thanks for your reply, i have updated my post above and it works now, although i dont know why...

I have build a package of the 2.20.20-viper10 kernel, as this one gives me very good performance... If anyone is interested in this, here is the Kernel PKGBUILD and the nVidia-PKGBUILD... Please notice that you _must_ create a new config, as the included one is specific to my machine and has everything else stripped out...

I have also another Problem with the PKGBUILD. I have a 64bit CPU (Pentium D 945) but i use Arch i686... When i build the Kernel it seems that the config.x86_64 is used and not the i686 one... So i edited to PKGBUILD to use only the i686 one, but it makes me wonder why the x64 config is always used even if i have arch i686 installed... I wanted to put this kernel into AUR because it gives me much more interactivity and speed than beyond for example, but i think its not worth it without a proper PKGBUILD...

#4 2007-04-27 19:08:24

klixon

you should check gentoo forums... I just makepkg'd my custom 2.6.21-viper1 wink
I use my own config, which makes for a healthy reduction in boot-time. If your compiling it, why not customize it to your own need?

I could mail you my PKGBUILD if you want...

Vipernicus also released 2.6.21-nicus1, featuring the CFS-schedular... lots of work to do this weekend big_smile

and... config is chosen acording to the CARCH variable in /etc/makepkg.conf... you should check if it says "i686"

Last edited by klixon (2007-04-27 19:11:31)

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#5 2007-04-27 19:46:27

funkyou
Website

Well, it would be very nice if you send me your PKGBUILD so i can play around with it... You can use this mail address: funkyou <at> kdemod.ath.cx

I have checked my makepkg.conf and CARCH is set to i686, but i will recheck the PKGBUILD if there is anything fishy...

Thx again

#6 2007-04-27 21:25:24

klixon

check if this is in it...

if [ "${CARCH}" = "x86_64" ]; then
    mv ../config.x86_64 ./.config
  else
    mv ../config ./.config
  fi

I just mailed my PKGBUILD etc. to you...

Board footer