You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-24 18:38:05

barebones

Headlights - A simple program to check if AUR packages are up to date

I wrote up a simple program to check the aur and compare it to the packages on your computer, so that you can easily tell which packages you installed from the aur and if they are out of date or not. It's still pretty early, and very limited but I think it's pretty useful so I'll share it with you guys. Its a gui app, and requires wxPython to run. Once you've downloaded it, made it executable, and run it, File -> check should check the aur and display your apps.

Here is a screenshot of headlights' aur checking,

Here is a screenshot of headlights' dependency checking,

Here is headlights itself, and

code.google.com/p/headlights is the project homepage.

Note: Headlights uses the output of pacman -Qm to tell which packages could be from the aur, but doesn't actually know if it's from the aur. This means that packages installed manually, but not taken from the aur won't have an aur version shown.

Last edited by barebones (2007-04-26 22:14:29)

#2 2007-03-25 22:26:40

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Headlights - A simple program to check if AUR packages are up to date

FYI, aurbuild already does that.  'aurbuild -su' will do that check and will propose to upgrade the package.

#3 2007-03-25 22:40:13

barebones

Yeah, I realize that. I even looked through some of aurbuild's code to figure out how to parse the aur's information. The main reason I wrote this was primarily as a learning experience and secondarily because I wanted something non-console based to do this sort of thing.

#4 2007-03-26 00:02:34

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Looks pretty nice. 8)

#5 2007-04-07 02:29:37

barebones

Even though there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in this, I'd like to mention that I've added some new features to headlights. Now, after you check for new packages, you can right click on any of the enteries and choose "Find Comments" to view the comments for a package. I put that in there so that if the release number is updated for a package, but not the actual version, you can quickly check the comments to see if it is worth rebuilding.

Also, if the package is a svn package, the right click menu will have an option to "Check SVN Revision" which will grab the svn info out of the pkgubild for the package and check it's svn trunk for the newest revision. This will then be displayed in the aur version column so that you can decide weather or not to versionpkg the package. This doesn't work with svn packages that need you to input a password, since you need to input it to get the log info for the package (rapidsvn is one I had problems with).

#6 2007-04-07 20:03:41

Echo

I just used headlights...more out of date pacakages than I thougt.

Thanks, worked like a charm.

#7 2007-04-09 15:30:23

Fackamato

Woah, nice. smile

#8 2007-04-10 08:59:35

Purch

Nice tool barebones!

Just found too long lived glproto-cvs package and replaced it with fresh glproto.There appears to be more oldies too wink

#9 2007-04-10 22:13:51

Cotton

Superb.

Maybe the header could state that it lists the unsupported AUR packages only, ie not the community AUR packages.

Are you likely to make it compatible with pacman 3?

#10 2007-04-11 00:31:04

barebones

Cotton: Good point about unsupported, I'll have to update that. As for pacman 3, it should already be compatible. It works on my system, at least. Are you having any problems with it?

#11 2007-04-11 05:59:09

Cotton

barebones wrote:

As for pacman 3, it should already be compatible. It works on my system, at least. Are you having any problems with it?

Just thinking ahead - haven't taken the plunge yet.

#12 2007-04-12 20:37:09

Cotton

One other thing, is there any chance of using 2 colours to highlight differences - say blue for when the local package is at a higher version number than the AUR, and red for when it is lower.

Users are most likely to be more interested in and take action for the red coloured packages.

#13 2007-04-26 22:11:53

barebones

I've uploaded a "new version" of headlights today. It has cleaner code and can do some new tricks too. Theres a new menu named Check where you can find the old funtionality along with an option called "Dependency Tree". This option will generate a tree view of packages on your system. It starts with packages that have no dependencies and then branches off to the packages that depend on them. I've also uploaded the package to the AUR, so you can get it there or from the project page mentioned in my original post.

Cotton: Currently red is for packages that are not in sync with the aur and blue is used when you find the HEAD revision of an svn package's subversion repository. It won't be hard to implement another color for packages that are newer than the aur, so look for that in a future release.

#14 2007-04-29 08:59:34

Purch

Dependency tree visualizes dependencies well. What I miss is how to find a package from that tree. So maybe some find or search thingy would be next to implement?

#15 2007-04-29 14:56:54

barebones

Yeah, thats a planned addition. Tree's in general are a pain to work with though, and next week is finals week too, so it might be a little bit before that feature gets added.

I'm glad to hear that people are interested and have suggestions. If there's anything else you'd like to see added, put it on the issues tab of the project page as a feature request. That'll give me some motivation to get it done.

Board footer