You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-09 11:31:45

eppa

Wireless Tools Problem - iwconfig

i have a problem with my network card. It seems to be working fine but then after a while it just shuts off. I have tried on several networks. Im able to run all the services such as dhcpcd and all but the uptime of the card seems to last from everything from 10min-45min and after that i have to restart to get it working again. I have tried adjusting things in the iwconfig without too much success. I have never gotten this error message on this laptop on any distro i have tried earlier (Slackware/Debian etc..) Im testing now with just very little load. Im gonna test later if load has anything to do with it.

Warning: Driver for device ath0 has been compiled with version 22
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 21.
Some things may be broken...
iwconfig  Wireless-Tools version 29
          Compatible with Wireless Extension v11 to v21.

Kernel    Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v22.

ath0      Recommend Wireless Extension v13 or later,
          Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v22.

This is what it looks like after the card has messed after a few minutes up even though all settings are correct in iwconfig and ifconfig nothing happens. As the output proves it dosent find any access points at all even if i stand next to the AP.

[root@localhost root]# ifconfig ath0 up
[root@localhost root]# iwlist ath0 ap
Warning: Driver for device ath0 has been compiled with version 22
of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 21.
Some things may be broken...

ath0      No Peers/Access-Point in range

Any Ideas on this?

#2 2007-05-09 11:43:56

patroclo7

Re: Wireless Tools Problem - iwconfig

Did you update to the latest wireless_tools (29pre21) ?

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#3 2007-05-09 12:16:52

eppa

thanx...  thought i had the most updated package i was running current the other day tongue

it seems to be working fine now big_smile

#4 2007-05-09 21:21:43

eppa

it seems like i spoke too soon.. The problem is still there slightly. After i updated the wireless tools package the error message is gone and the wireless card is preforming much better than before. However the problem is not entirely gone. It could be my Access Point since its kind of old so i will do some more testing. But any ideas straight out of the box?

#5 2007-05-09 22:03:09

tardo

have u tried this on another access point? is there a way to turn the card's power-saving feature off?

#6 2007-05-13 14:42:55

eppa

i have tested the card on several access points and it comes back with the same result and that is that it works for several hours. However the card WILL stop functioning eventually normally after an hour. I was working for some time and i checked the system uptime it showed 4 hours and the wlan card refused to do anything. Once again i restart and the card operates  perfectly. Normal ethernet cable is not a problem.

#7 2007-05-16 07:05:52

emo

I had the same problem and it not only messed up my wifi card but froze my entire laptop. Only solution that worked for me was to remove the wireless_tools pkg and put it as Ignore in pacman.conf. Then I downloaded the source and compiled it myself. It has worked perfect for me after i did this.

I have a hp nx6325 with a bcm4310 wifi card.

Followup: Problem didnt go away, but it was along time now (days) before it stoped working again and froze up for me, this time i got atad angry with it all and tried the x86_64 arch, downloaded the 64 bit drivers from HP's homepage. Been running it like this for 1 week now and so far so good.

Last edited by emo (2007-05-25 06:35:32)

Board footer