You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-10 11:25:53

akejo

XFCE need gnome?

Hello all.

After using arch linux a while I've tested a wide bunch of different applications and cluttered up my pc alot, so I decided to reinstall it and switch from gnome to xfce.

I've installed everything, basically once again following the wiki, up to 'pacman -S xfce'. That worked fine and I now only have small things to fix.

However... On the wiki it says I can install xfce-goodies to get all those extra small things tied to xfce functionality and I tried to install that one but stopped it when I saw what was offered to install. Looking at the packages pacman like to install for me left me wondering why some parts are chosen...

For example, why is gnome-panel and gnome-desktop included in this meta package? Do one actually NEED gnome(I recall gnome-desktop to be a fairly big part of gnome) to be able to fully use xfce? It feels a tad redundant to me.

EDIT: I found that the addon  xfce4-xfapplet-plugin like to install all those gnome things..

Last edited by akejo (2007-05-10 11:31:10)

#2 2007-05-10 11:38:38

thepizzaking

Re: XFCE need gnome?

akejo wrote:

EDIT: I found that the addon  xfce4-xfapplet-plugin like to install all those gnome things..

Probably because that plugin is used to put gnome panel applets in the xfce panel.
I suppose it would be pretty useless if there weren't any gnome applets installed.

#3 2007-05-10 11:47:03

akejo

Re: XFCE need gnome?

thepizzaking wrote:
akejo wrote:

Probably because that plugin is used to put gnome panel applets in the xfce panel.
I suppose it would be pretty useless if there weren't any gnome applets installed.

Thanks.

Yes I checked that package on the site while you posted. I assume that one is not needed. I have added all other packages from xfce4-goodies manually instead and this far it seems to work. Only problem now is that  audacious won't use the tray like it did in gnome, and on the menu the arrows pointing to sub menus is huge. Other then that, it starts to work again smile

EDIT: Arrows fixed. It seems when choosing fonts for the system in 'User Interface' they need to be good enough to have small arrows smile

Last edited by akejo (2007-05-10 11:56:21)

Board footer