You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-11 17:44:22

KerowynM

So many Wiki pages... Which one?

Hi all.

With the demise of the beyond patchset, I decided I was going to try and build my own custom kernel, installed in parallel with the stock kernel for when my custom one blows up.  That is when I discovered exactly how complex the kernel PKGBUILDs are tongue

I originally thought I would just copy over kernel26 from ABS, change pkgname, and be on my merry way.  Then I figured I better check out the Wiki first.  There is plenty of information in the Wiki, unfortunately quite a bit of it is contradictory.  On top of that, the Wiki pages seem to neglect mkinitcpio all together, while I find it sitting in the stock PKGBUILD.

Here is the page that lists all of the kernel wiki pages: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … English%29

So, out of all of those pages, which one should I start with?  Or should I go with my original plan, grab kernel26, kernel26mm, etc and start tinkering?  Would it be as simple as changing some names around? 

The kernel will only be used on one machine, and as I am the only one who maintains packages a simple naming convention is all that is required.  That said I much prefer to learn the proper way of doing things instead.

I built kernel26mm from ABS once, as-is so I could play with reiser4 without opening all of unstable, and it took forever, so any help getting pointed in the right direction to start will save me days of banging my head and staring at compiler output tongue  I have no problem figuring it out on my own either, thats the fun part.  I'm just not sure which directions are the best place to start.

#2 2007-05-11 18:13:46

dolby

Re: So many Wiki pages... Which one?

did exactly the same. when i read iphitus's beyond is dead mail in ML panicked and started compiling various kernels.

from wiki pages i think the one that was most helpful was  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … n_with_ABS

even thought i had never compiled a custom kernel before, after messing with various kernels versions pkgbuils (arch,beyond,ck,mm) i dont think kernel pkgbuilds are that complex.
they all look alike after the
##### NO USER CHANGES BELOW HERE #####
part
so its up to u only to select the sources & apply the patches

what i find most complex about compiling a custom kernel is the below part

##### Load config - uncomment your preferred config method
  #yes "" | make config
  #make oldconfig || return 1
  #make menuconfig
  #make xconfig
  make gconfig

1st method is used if u already have a config file. that mostly applies when building the exact same kernel from the repos. if u want to change some config options u have to uncomment an option from 2-4 (most ppl prefer no.3 afaict).
in that point i found that documentation on kernel configure options is not as complete as i would expected..
hope that helps

Last edited by dolby (2007-05-11 18:14:36)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-05-11 19:11:53

KerowynM

I've compiled kernels before, just not in arch.  I got the ricer out of me with Gentoo and have just used repo kernels thusfar in arch lol.  It dawned on me that the reason the wiki page PKGBUILDs didn't have mkinitcpio was because a custom kernel wouldn't necessarily need it, as you could compile in which modules were required to boot.  There goes a lot of my initial confusion right there.  The rest seems to be just naming semantics.  So long as I can keep the names consistent I guess thats all I need to worry about tongue

#4 2007-05-12 02:48:08

KerowynM

Oh, BTW, menuconfig is the only kernel config progam I've ever used worth it's salt.  the gui ones are terrible, IMHO.

The only good way to get acquainted with kernel options is to dive in and experiment, in my experience.  Always keep a stable kernel about to save you when your experiments go wrong and all is well.

Last edited by KerowynM (2007-05-12 02:49:11)

Board footer