You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-10 02:28:10

judfilm

[AUR] xjadeo - X JAck viDEO display

EDIT: Thanks to the great work by N30N, there is now a PKGBUILD in the AUR.

X JAck viDEO display is a very simple video player that gets sync from jack. When a sequencer like ardour, Muse or Rosegarden acts as a timebase master, xjadeo will display the video frame in sync with the sequencer transport. This means that you can visually synchronize an audio event with a certain frame in the movie, which comes quite handy when you want to create a soundtrack for a video clip, TVC or short film.

EDIT: Now at version 0.4

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xjadeo/

From the old readme:

USAGE
First you have to encode your video file to a certain specific format. For this I use the utility mencoder that comes with mplayer. The appropriate spell is:
  mencoder -idx -ovc lavc -lavcopts keyint=1 -nosound input-file.xxx -o output-file.avi
This creates from your input-file.xxx an AVI mpeg4 encoded video file with no sound, an index (-idx) and no compression between frames (every frame is a key frame). The file thus can become really BIG, so watch out your disk space.
You may also want to shrink the size of the frame by adding the option -vf scale=width:height. This will reduce the size of the avi file, will tax less the system resources when displayed and will leave more space in the screen for your audio software. Usually I find 160:120 enough, but depending on the size of your screen and hard disk and the power of your computer, you may want to have a bigger display.
Then you have to be sure that jackd is running.
Finally, run xjadeo with the following command:
  xjadeo [framerate] output-file.avi &
There you are. If you use, for instance, muse 0.7, you can now fool around with its transport controls and see your video clip moving along. When the sequencer is playing at normal speed, the video will play at the framerate you insert in the command line. Default is 10 fps. Again, the lower the framerate, the smaller is the impact of xjadeo on the performance of your system.

HOW IT WORKS
It is very easy. This is what I call "glue software". Fortunately I stand on giants' shoulders.
When xjadeo is started,
1) Checks that jackd is running and connects as a client.
2) Opens the video file.
3) Opens the window.
4) Enters a loop that:
       - Queries jack time position.
       - Calculates and display the appropriate video frame.
The loop runs 'framerate' times per second, depending on what you entered in the command line.
Closing the window will terminate xjadeo.
Not very fancy, but works for me. Volunteers to improve it are gladly welcome.

BUILDING DEPENDENCIES
These are the libraries upon which xjadeo is built. I provide the version numbers present at my Fedora Core machine.
- jack-audio-connection-kit (0.99.36)
      performs the connection between audio software and xjadeo.
- ffmpeg (0.4.9-6)
      decodes the video file.
- Imlib (1.9.13-19)
      displays the frame.
To compile the source you will need the "devel" version of these libraries.
Furthermore, you will need mencoder to convert the video file to a suitable format.

TODO
Improve performance. Will e.g., SDL perform better than Imlib? Sure in XVideo enabled video cards. Stop refreshing loop if window is minimized or jack is stopped.
Improve interface. Clicking screen opens file manager to load different video? Widget or key press to adjust framerate? Resizing window rescales video (performance penalty)
Support more video formats. Doubtful. It is difficult and taxes performance.
Add a time offset to the beginning of the video file.

REFERENCES
http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/refe … esign.html

THE NAME
Well. Is an X-based application that links JAck with viDEO. XJADEO. In spanish, 'jadeo' means 'panting, gasping'.
Rumour has it that Xja Deo is also regarded as the name of a mistic chinese warrior that will be born in 3000 DC and will bring universal peace and harmony to the world by means of extreme lethal violence, but who would be that fool to believe such a thing?

Last edited by judfilm (2007-05-14 11:40:29)

#2 2007-05-11 05:12:13

judfilm

Re: [AUR] xjadeo - X JAck viDEO display

Hi,

Version 0.4 has been out for awhile now and with ardour now hitting the 2.0 milestone, could someone please have an attempt at this? thanks.

#3 2007-05-14 11:22:24

N30N

#4 2007-05-14 11:34:35

judfilm

Awesome work! Thank you.

#5 2007-05-14 12:39:59

N30N

judfilm wrote:

Awesome work! Thank you.

You welcome. wink
I just make some changes so it adds a menu idem for qjadeo if it's compiled (I left qt out of the dependces list as I know some ppl would not want it).

Board footer