You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-03 00:18:52

jlowell

What Happened?

Waiting for some of the recent package problems to work themselves out, I held off until today to do routine maintenance, package updates and the like. While with one exception, mozilla-firefox, I was able to build all of the updates I had waiting for me without trouble, after everything was finished I came back to my usual display and got something of a shock. I run a very simple arrangement here: fluxbox with its menu used to access aterm, xterm, mozilla-firefox, mozilla-thunderbird, and gkrellm. Opening gkrellm, something had taken it upon itself to reset the type and size of the program's fonts and I could not reset them even though gkrellm makes provision to configure and use overriding alternative fonts. This destructive changes appears permanent.

I hate this kind of thing about Linux. Something very similar occurred with my Gentoo installation after I came to Arch about nine months ago and I canned the damn thing shortly thereafter. You spend hours installing, configuring, optimizing, rebuilding and maintaining your set up only to have one or another update - in this case, I have no clue  which - destroy everything that you do. What has happened to cause these changes, might someone know or care to guess?

jlowell

#2 2004-05-03 00:43:39

Zephirias

Re: What Happened?

No idea, but that annoys me to no end, too. I can't seem to find a desktop that fits to my liking, because there's nothing but errors whenever I try to get things working, and it makes you want to quit. That's why I hope that Arch can change that while it's still a relatively young Distro, and maybe start to show that Linux can be desktop-oriented...if only I could program, I'd make a nice WM for once.

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#3 2004-05-03 01:49:08

jlowell

Re: What Happened?

Hi Zephirias,

Thanks for the reply and the simpatico.

I've been able to trace the problem to a bug in gtk. One of the upgrades I did was gtk2 and, according to gkrellm's developer, the problem is there. He's planning on using pango in gkrellm's next release to fix things. Such a pain!

jlowell

Board footer