You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-16 07:52:26

ErMoviola

pacman sync with ADSL

Hi,

I've just installed Arch 0.7.2, base installation form CD. I've a Telecom Italia ADSL and I'm using the eciadsl package for my IPM WebPower modem (USB). I've installed the ecidasl package fine, configured my modem and connected to the Internet. If I ping google it works fine, so the connection is up. I've edited the /etc/pacman.conf to include the current, extra and community repositories, but when I try pacman -Sy I get

error: could not open sync database: extra
            have you used --refresh yet?

and above that were a bunch of

gethostbyname: Resource temporarily unavailable
    error: cannot connect to cncmirror.vxmatrix.net

and the same message for about 15 other URLs.

I'm logged in as root, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Do I need to configure my network with the ADSL settings even if I'm not using the eth0 interface?

Thanks

ErMoviola

#2 2007-05-16 08:08:30

dolby

Re: pacman sync with ADSL

it is REALLY recommended to use a new iso. the one u have is a yearold. the changes since then have been humongous. http://www.archlinux.org/download/
ftp iso is better imho

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-05-16 08:23:02

ErMoviola

dolby wrote:

it is REALLY recommended to use a new iso. the one u have is a yearold. the changes since then have been humongous. http://www.archlinux.org/download/
ftp iso is better imho

I've tried to install Voodoo as well, but then I had problems with the eciadsl package and decided to go back to Gimmick, thinking that I could always update it once it is installed.

If I use the FTP iso I should get the same errors, shouldn't I?

Last edited by ErMoviola (2007-05-16 08:39:27)

#4 2007-05-16 08:30:03

ploub

I'm getting the exact same error message and I'm using 0.8.
Base install from CD went well but unable to access internet because of rt2x00 wireless card. (That's another story).
So in /etc/pacman.conf I put a line in [current] section:

Server = file:///mnt/cdrom

and when I do

pacman -Sy

or any other pacman command for that matter I get the same error. I even tried commenting out the [extra] section with no change.
I also copied all the packages to /var/cache/pacman but still the same error. Result: can't install anything.:(
Help anyone?
Don't want to hijack this thread but could these be related?

Last edited by ploub (2007-05-16 08:31:08)

#5 2007-05-18 07:51:42

ErMoviola

ErMoviola wrote:
dolby wrote:

ftp iso is better imho

I've tried to install Voodoo as well, but then I had problems with the eciadsl package and decided to go back to Gimmick, thinking that I could always update it once it is installed.

If I use the FTP iso I should get the same errors, shouldn't I?

I've installed Arch 0.8, but the problem is still there.

I've noticed that when I use pacman -Sy or wget the modem gets disconnected and powers off and after a while it powers on again, without reconnecting.
What can it be?

thanks

ErMo

Board footer