You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-18 13:35:37

EisBlade

a self-appointed distroWhore homes in on Arch "Duke"

This distro, that distro, no distro, which distro?  It's been a hellish round-robin of downloading and burning the ISO's of every major distro that seemed nice, and the pains and frustration of being a noob throughout.  Every distro has something going for it but nothing that has really grabbed me.  SuSE was nice, but slow.  I don't like Ubuntu, but like the speed of Xubuntu better.  I find that I prefer Gnome over KDE, but have great appreciation for XFCE and other quicker desktop managers.  I don't know Jack about linux other than editing Grub to include my Windows XP entry if need be.  Like all whoring, however, it has to end somewhere.  I noticed Gentoo from across the room.  Not too flamboyant, seemingly simple at first glance, and easy...errr...fast, which is what I liked.  But the more I got to know Gentoo the more I discovered just how high maintenance a gal she was.  I don't do high maintenance.   As a windows geek wannabe linux geek, a learning curve is expected.  Make it too and easy and I'll think you've cheated me.  The reviews love Arch, as well as is evident of its users.  It's appears easy enough yet seems to afford an appropriate amount of challenge necessary to learn.

Okay, here's the deal.   In a nutshell, I'm setting up a triple-boot system.  Windows XP is on the first partition,  Arch on the 2nd (hd5), and I patiently await the next Fedora release...just because.  I have a 2Gb swap partition, and a FAT32 partition to save files to from any OS.

I've taken advice from the forums here and, when installing Arch "Duke" last night, went with the 'base' install.  That was easy enough, but now I'm stuck and need network access to get to the packages.  I expect this is where the real learning begins though and will struggle through this rather than post a question until I'm sure that I've exhausted the Install Guide.  Speaking of which...

Is there a Install Guide that is updated to apply to Duke, or will the one linked to on the Wiki (for version 0.7.2, GIMMICK) work just fine?  I'd really like to get deep into building this Arch system using the correct information.

Thanks!

JT

#2 2007-05-18 14:13:43

tlaloc

Re: a self-appointed distroWhore homes in on Arch "Duke"

I haven't tried to install Duke, but I think the 0.7.2 guide should work pretty well. For your network problem, there are two useful wiki pages:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network

#3 2007-05-18 14:34:00

pelle.k

Hey. Some advice;
Get used to the terminal, and som basic bash. This isn't your mamas linux wink
Install tilda (if you're a gtk fanboy) or yakuake (if you swear by kde).

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#4 2007-05-18 15:10:59

sjg

Hi - welcome to Arch - you're going to like it a lot. It may not be "your mama's linux" but it's not too hard either, and no problem if you're willing to get stuck in and learn.

As for the install, from memory I think it is pretty much the same as 0.7.2. Give us a shout if you need some help setting up the network.

#5 2007-05-18 15:24:50

EisBlade

Thanks for the welcome, tips and links.  And will do, sjg. 

Eis

Board footer