You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-17 18:00:55

scratch

Yakuake inoperable, also graphically glitched

I decided to try yakuake, so I installed it with "# pacman -Sy yakuake" and ran it. I'm using xfce4 and it helpfully put a shortcut in the "Accessories" menu. When I run it, I get something that looks like this:
yakuakebade60.png
I can use the down-pointing arrow in the lower-right corner to get the "Properties" menu, which I used to resize it... but the terminal does not seem to show up. Clicking in it and typing things, like "aplay /usr/share/sounds/pidgin/receive.wav", does not seem to work (so it's not just that the terminal is invisible).

I'm wondering if this is some incompatibility between xfce and yakuake or if yakuake has additional dependencies that pacman doesn't recognize. I don't have kde installed, just xfce4 and maybe a few libraries for various programs.

Please note that the tab bar really looks like that, I can't imagine it's what is desired. I can click the [+] button to add new shells (that also don't do anything), and did so for the screenshot. I can rename shells but they go back to looking like that. Also, opening and closing several shells at once makes the black fuzzy bit extend farther and puts "ghosts" of text in it, it's hard to describe but it looks like it just "types over" the old text in some parts.

Any thoughts/recommendations for how to fix this? And don't recommend tilda, I tried it and didn't like it.

#2 2007-05-17 18:16:09

somairotevoli

Re: Yakuake inoperable, also graphically glitched

I had the same problem w/ yakuake when I tried out the latest gnome.  It's one of the reason I stuck w/ kde;)

I don't know why it happened or how to fix it though.

#3 2007-05-17 20:00:01

tlaloc

yakuake requires kdelibs (which recognized by pacman). This probably not a highly economic solution for you, as a 300 KB program pulls in a 50000 KB dependency. Works fine for me, btw - but I have both Xfce and KDE installed, anyway.

#4 2007-05-18 05:32:51

scratch

I have kdelibs. It is a 20MB package. I think it requires something in kdebase, like maybe konsole, but kdebase is NOT in pacman's requirements for yakuake.

More information: running yakuake in EDIT: console (accidentally wrote konsole here before, which I don't have) yields "QLayout: Cannot add null widget to QVBoxLayout/unnamed" but yakuake does not exit or anything, it just appears like it does in the above screenshot.

Last edited by scratch (2007-05-18 15:28:24)

#5 2007-05-18 09:52:05

tlaloc

My fault, you may be right - according to information I have culled from a German Ubuntu-Forum, it is indeed dependent on kdebase (and only on that). If you can get it up and running with that, you should probably report it as a bug.

Last edited by tlaloc (2007-05-18 11:01:24)

#6 2007-05-18 10:29:31

lucke

There's a beta version of yakuake available, maybe that'll change anything for you.

Last edited by lucke (2007-05-18 10:31:15)

#7 2007-05-18 17:48:52

KerowynM

I've never tried it, but this is supposed to give similar functionality:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … s=0&SeB=nd

it might be a better solution then installing all of KDE,

I use Yakuake in KDE, and it's beyond useful.  Good luck.

#8 2007-05-20 05:23:09

beissemj

I use yakuake (in Gnome) just fine. When you first install it you'll get a screen like the one you posted (that happens in fedora and Gentoo as well btw [but not OpenSUSE]...). I've found 2 things that fix this problem. #1 install konsole. #2 reboot. I have no idea why, but doing those to things seem to fix the problem.

Also, if you run it under gnome you will notice that the tabs are messed up (just like your screenshot). To fix this just do

$kdesktop
(wait a few seconds)
$killall -9 kdesktop

I've looked at the source code and if I remember correctly the problem with the tabs is the way that transparency is handled in KDE vs GTK.

Oh and I agree with you tilda isn't so great. I don't know if it still has it, but last time I checked it had a very annoying screen refreshing problem which was very apparent when doing anything with ncurses.

Last edited by beissemj (2007-05-20 05:33:22)

Professor: This isn't right...It isn't even wrong...

Board footer