You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-28 10:50:54

nadavvin

How to do package to something in the repo?

I want to create package to Swfdec.

It exists in the repo but with old version 0.3.6-1

How do I do it?

since I want to do to the last stable and not any development version.

#2 2007-03-28 10:58:42

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: How to do package to something in the repo?

Get the existing PKGBUILD from CVS, along with any other required build files. Edit the PKGBUILD as required, and run makepkg.

#3 2007-03-28 11:23:45

nadavvin

tomk wrote:

Get the existing PKGBUILD from CVS, along with any other required build files. Edit the PKGBUILD as required, and run makepkg.

I know How to create a package, I ask about which name to call it since I shouldn't need to do this in the same name.

I can't call it package-devel since I don't want to base about the development but on the lase stable.

#4 2007-03-28 11:37:02

smoon
Website

nadavvin wrote:
tomk wrote:

I know How to create a package, I ask about which name to call it since I shouldn't need to do this in the same name.

I can't call it package-devel since I don't want to base about the development but on the lase stable.

There's no need to change the package name. Just change the version in the PKGBUILD, `makepkg' and install it with `pacman -U pkgname.pkg.tar.gz'.

#5 2007-03-28 11:40:25

nadavvin

There's no need to change the package name. Just change the version in the PKGBUILD, `makepkg' and install it with `pacman -U pkgname.pkg.tar.gz'.

There is.

If I install package which exist in the repo that newer than the repo. pacman not work and complain that the packages in the repo older than what installed in the system.

#6 2007-03-28 11:45:29

smoon
Website

nadavvin wrote:

There is.

If I install package which exist in the repo that newer than the repo. pacman not work and complain that the packages in the repo older than what installed in the system.

You mean warnings like that:

warning: eterm: local (0.9.4-1) is newer than extra (0.9.3-5)

At least for me those have never been a problem - pacman just spits out its warnings and proceeds without problems.

#7 2007-03-28 12:00:47

dolby

u can call it swfdec-nadavvin or something like that. seen many ppl do that

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#8 2007-05-11 17:17:01

s26c.sayan
Website

nadavvin wrote:

I want to create package to Swfdec.

It exists in the repo but with old version 0.3.6-1

How do I do it?

since I want to do to the last stable and not any development version.

Where is the package!!! I need that!!! big_smile

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#9 2007-05-20 17:55:36

twold

Hi there,
I created the packages.

swfdec-mozilla -- http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … hans=&SeB=.

swfdec-new -- http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … hans=&SeB=

Enjoy ;-)

#10 2007-05-20 18:19:58

s26c.sayan
Website

twold wrote:

Hi there,
I created the packages.

swfdec-mozilla -- http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … hans=&SeB=.

swfdec-new -- http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … hans=&SeB=

Enjoy ;-)

Thank you!! smile

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#11 2007-05-20 20:22:39

elasticdog
Website

If it is currently in the official repos, a newer version shouldn't be put in the AUR, but instead your updated PKGBUILD could be sent over to the dev who is maintaining the package since they might not of had time to update the software themselves.  The mozilla plugin package is a different story, and since it's not already in the repos, should be fine in the AUR.

#12 2007-05-20 20:47:19

aRcHaTe

swfdec-mozilla -- http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =&SeB=.
generates conflit with the swfdec...im using an swfdec updated package only..and it works fine with mozilla..no need for swfdec mozilla

Its a sick world we live in....

#13 2007-05-20 21:06:36

twold

elasticdog wrote:

If it is currently in the official repos, a newer version shouldn't be put in the AUR, but instead your updated PKGBUILD could be sent over to the dev who is maintaining the package since they might not of had time to update the software themselves.  The mozilla plugin package is a different story, and since it's not already in the repos, should be fine in the AUR.

I didn't consider sending the update to the dev, since they ignored the package for a year. I am not blaming anyone, just trying to make my point. And as I already said in another thread, my package can be easily deleted from the AUR when the new oficial package comes.

#14 2007-05-20 21:09:45

twold

sickhate wrote:

swfdec-mozilla -- http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =&SeB=.
generates conflit with the swfdec...im using an swfdec updated package only..and it works fine with mozilla..no need for swfdec mozilla

I don't understand. You are using 0.3.6 from extra? Because that one didn't work with mozilla for me. Or are you talking about some other package?

#15 2007-05-20 22:25:29

elasticdog
Website

twold wrote:

I didn't consider sending the update to the dev, since they ignored the package for a year. I am not blaming anyone, just trying to make my point. And as I already said in another thread, my package can be easily deleted from the AUR when the new oficial package comes.

To explain, basically it's against the AUR User Guidelines and creates more work for people who manage the AUR and will confuse end users.  If the software has been out of date for that long, you can do a number of things to help.  Like I said, try emailing the dev directly, post a bug report with the updated PKGBUILD, post to the mailing list and maybe someone else will take over updating that package, etc.  Without making an effort to help improve the situation, you're just duplicating efforts and making the situation more confusing without giving the devs a chance to improve things.  We're all for getting help and user contributions with updating packages, but putting it in the AUR is not the best way to get things done.

Quote from the AUR User Guidelines:

When submitting a package, observe the following rules:

* Check [extra], [current], [unstable], UNSUPPORTED, and [community] for the package. If it is inside any of those repositories in ANY form, DO NOT submit the package (if the current package is broken or is lacking an included feature then please file a bug report in FlySpray).

#16 2007-05-21 06:39:49

twold

@elasticdog: I understand. I'll read guidelines carefully. Sorry for inconvenience. No harm meant :-)

Board footer