You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-21 05:44:59

drum

transient resolver failure SOLVED

Hi,
I'm a noobie installing arch voodoo on my new sata box. I've enabled all the repos except 'testing' and on doing a pacman -Sy i get 'connection timed out. error: can't connect to ftp.archlinux.org'
Then when I run pacman -S xorg I get 'transient resolver failure'.
Then some files come through but I get lots of 'failed retrieving file' No route to host.
I've read about moving a mirror up the list to see which one connects but have no idea how to do this.
Could it be related to my problem?
I have to say I did get Arch voodoo installed on my other box a few weeks ago and loved it but I'm having no luck with this install. Maybe the mirrors are down?
Hoping the experts could point me gently in the right direction? Not the door smile
Thanks

Last edited by drum (2007-05-21 20:34:56)

bebop lives

#2 2007-05-21 06:29:27

somedrew

Re: transient resolver failure SOLVED

The server lists for each repo can be found in /etc/pacman.d/. You can use a text editor to move the fastest mirrors up to the top of the list for each enabled repository (alternatively, you can include your preferred mirrors for each repository into /etc/pacman.conf. Mirrors listed there will be checked before any in /etc/pacman.d/*). If you upgrade to pacman3, you can use the nifty 'rankmirros' script to find out which ones are the fastest for you. Also, ftp.archlinux.org has recently implemented throttling, and it would be recommended to avoid using that server.

Hope that helps, post back if not.

#3 2007-05-21 12:59:27

drum

Thanks arbrown,
I learned how to edit /etc/pacman.d xxxxxxx and move a couple of mirrors to the top and I commented out ftp.archlinux
I eventually got everything I need. xorg, gnome, gnome-extra, nvidia, mc and a few more things.
I did xorgconfig and then edited /X11/xorg with my monitor settings and changed driver nv to nvidia.

Rebooted and got the login screen 'yeaaay' but after logging in got a box saying:-

System has no Xclients file, so starting a failsafe xterm session.
Windows will have focus only if the mouse pointer is above them.
To get out of this mode type "exit" in this window.  OK

I hit OK and then get a small xterm log-in box in the top left corner of the screen.

Now I'm stumped.
I rebooted a couple of times and got the same.
Nvidia splash comes up for a second just before main log-in screen.
I feel I'm so near but so far to getting it working.

bebop lives

#4 2007-05-21 15:09:25

ataraxia

I don't know about the missing system Xclients, but if you put a file in your home called .Xsession that says "exec gnome-session" GNOME should start.

#5 2007-05-21 20:34:24

drum

Thanks guys,
I had a feeling during the installation that during the mirror trouble I had, that I may have missed part of gnome-extra.
Sure enough I installed extra again and a few files hadn't come down the first time.
I rebooted a couple of times and now everything boots up great.
I now have Arch on my new box as well as my old one. I love it.
Now to get ssh working and streaming audio.
Regards
big_smile

bebop lives

Board footer