You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-20 19:29:09

jimbo-62

Xfce4 Desktop Launcher Broken

I don't know if this is a Duke problem, a carry through of a Voodoo problem or an Xfce problem. A new installation of Duke went as expected. I installed a Duke base system from the iso. Then I installed xorg and xfce4. Everything went as expected and I boot to an Xfce4 desktop. Now, here is the problem. I tried three times to create a desktop icon/launcher. No launcher ever showed on the desktop. Then I remembered a quirk from some other distro where unchecking the box that lets xfce manage the desktop, rebooting and then re-checking the box fixed a desktop problem. I did that and now the three icons/launchers are on the desktop. BUT, they don't work. I can't change the icon or make any change to the launcher and they won't delete. When I try to delete, an error window pops up complaining about a file that doesn't exist.

Any help will be appreciated, jimbo

#2 2007-05-20 21:20:47

ataraxia

Re: Xfce4 Desktop Launcher Broken

I had this kind of behavior when fam was running, but my firewall rules were screwed up so that loopback was blocked. Check fam and your iptables. See if "rpcinfo -p" hangs.

#3 2007-05-21 00:08:40

jimbo-62

ataraxia wrote:

I had this kind of behavior when fam was running, but my firewall rules were screwed up so that loopback was blocked. Check fam and your iptables. See if "rpcinfo -p" hangs.

rpcinfo -p doesn't hang. Anyway, I don't see the connection. please explain.

Here is what I have found: When I create a launcher/icon it doesn't appear on the desktop, BUT it does appear in /root/Desktop/. And, if I re-boot, the icon/launcher appears on the desktop and it works properly. No other xfce4 installation I have behaves this way. The icon/launcher appears on the desktop when it is created, not after the next boot.

Thanks for any insight, jimbo

#4 2007-05-21 00:46:59

ataraxia

The reason I pointed to rpcinfo is that's the way I discovered my problem. XFCE's Thunar uses FAM to see when files change, and FAM uses portmap. If famd isn't operable you will see this kind of bad behaviour.

#5 2007-05-21 16:38:49

jimbo-62

ataraxia wrote:

The reason I pointed to rpcinfo is that's the way I discovered my problem. XFCE's Thunar uses FAM to see when files change, and FAM uses portmap. If famd isn't operable you will see this kind of bad behaviour.

Actually, rpcinfo -p gives an error message:

rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused.

But, everything seems to be working properly except that a created desktop icon/launcher doesn't show up until after a re-boot.

Thanks, jimbo

#6 2007-05-21 19:01:07

ataraxia

Are famd and portmap running? Also, what does "iptables -L -v" show?

Board footer