You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-03 20:14:16

rbrownclown

First Time Fluxbox User

Out of curiosity, I installed Fluxbox.  I'm not sure whether I like it or not, but the speed is incredible.  I need some help getting it themed and functioning to my liking.

I've read that Fluxbox doesn't support desktop icons out-of-the-box.  Is this true?  What package do I need to add-on this feature?

Since it doesn't support desktop icons out-of-the-box, there should be an alternative.  From what I've seen in the monthly desktop threads, you can move packages to the top of the right click menu.  How do you do this?

None of my packages are showing up in the right click menu.  Only lightweight packages that I'm assuming are recommended for Fluxbox.  The problem is - none of them are installed!  So it's basically like I have a dead desktop with no function whatsoever.  I had to drop into a virtual terminal and installed Dillo and XTerm.  This improved it, but I still have all of those dead entries.  My question is - how do I get the packages already installed on that menu?  I usually use Firefox, Pidgin (or Gaim; whatever you want to call it), and OpenOffice on a regular basis.  Occasionally, I use K3B and Xine-UI, but these can be shifted to other packages if need be.

Does it come with a file manager?  I never bothered to look.  If not, what do you suggest I use?

How do you change the wallpaper?

Is it possible to make the desktops a square with grids (like in KDE) instead of the "one, two, three" with the arrows?

Do Beryl and/or Compiz work in Fluxbox?

Do GTK2 or QT (QT is what KDE uses, correct?) packages work out of the box?  Can I change GTK1 packages into GTK2 to improve the UI?

There will probably be more questions where this came from.

#2 2007-05-03 20:31:48

Ramses de Norre

Re: First Time Fluxbox User

Half of the questions you're asking are answered here, I suggest you read that and ask again if you haven't got the principle yet after reading that document (and maybe googling a little) and still have questions.

#3 2007-05-03 20:34:24

hacosta

pacman -Ss menumaker
gentoo-wiki has a great wiki on fluxbox you might want to read it

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fluxbox

#4 2007-05-20 17:07:58

s26c.sayan
Website

've read that Fluxbox doesn't support desktop icons out-of-the-box.  Is this true?  What package do I need to add-on this feature?

Yes, fluxbox doesn't support desktop icons out of the box. If you just need launcher icons on desktop either of fbdesk and idesk can do the trick well. If you like a real desktop with drag-drop-to-desktop and saving to dekstop you'l need to use ROX-filer.

Since it doesn't support desktop icons out-of-the-box, there should be an alternative.  From what I've seen in the monthly desktop threads, you can move packages to the top of the right click menu.  How do you do this?

You have to edit the ~/.fluxbox/menu file. GUI-s are available too.

Only lightweight packages that I'm assuming are recommended for Fluxbox

That's not really correct. Fluxbox can run any app, heavy or light! Actually, if you have a low-end system, it is generally  recommended to use lightweight stuff, including a lightweight WM/DE  like fluxbox.  I think that got you confused into thinking fluxbox itself only allows running light apps!
What your problem is, you have to add to the menu the  installed apps, and yo'l be ble to run them!

Does it come with a file manager?  I never bothered to look.  If not, what do you suggest I use?

No, fluxbox is just a window manager, so no default file manager there! You can use anything you like, including ROX-filer, which serves dual-purpose of fule manager and desktop drawing app! My personal choice is Thunar or Emelfm2.

How do you change the wallpaper?

Again, you can do this in many ways, including hand-editing text files or GUI way!

Is it possible to make the desktops a square with grids (like in KDE) instead of the "one, two, three" with the arrows?

I think you need something like fluxter or fbpager. I dont use them personally.

Do Beryl and/or Compiz work in Fluxbox?

No, simply beacuse Compiz/Beryl are window managers themselves, just like fluxbox is! If you like compostie effects, there is always xcompmgr and transset, which gives you some little bit of eye-candy like shadows and transparency!

Do GTK2 or QT (QT is what KDE uses, correct?) packages work out of the box?  Can I change GTK1 packages into GTK2 to improve the UI?

Fluxbox has full KDE and partial gnome support. So, most apps (if not all) will work out of the box.

Fluxbox is a great thing, though it can be ugly and intimidating at first!
You should read the links posted in the above posts, and also browse the official fluxbox wiki : http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Categ … ish_howtos

If you'd like a ready-to-use fluxbox environ on Arch Linux, you could take a look at March Linux, a project I'm working on. It is still in ALPHA stage, coz it doesn't have all the features planned to be in the final version. But I think you'l like the ready-to-go fluxbox with lots of GUI tools to configure it. It has almost all the features you seem to want I also need people to test it and give me some feedback, so maybe you could give it a try! :)

The link to the homepage is below in my signature. Download locations are in the home site. :)

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#5 2007-05-21 20:13:24

kel_p

I know most questions are probably answered but still I'd like to advise to take a look at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fluxbox
A good source of info, translating 'The Gentoo way' to 'The Arch way' shouldn't be a problem.

Board footer