You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-24 10:37:09

synthead

XFCE4 is doing itself in?

So XFCE4 is doing a number of interesting things tonight.  It all started when I clicked on the terminal icon in the lower defaultly-placed panel and the terminal didn't pop up.  Very interesting.  So I did a right-click on the desktop to bring up the XFCE menu and clicked panel there ... "Failed to execute default Terminal Emulator.  input/output error."  Whoa, what?  So then I thought I would run Terminal from "Run Program ..." in the XFCE4 menu.  It pops up with some classy Beryl ninja-like moves, but when I type anything into the box, it immediately disappears.

I thought this was very strange.  The first thing I did was pacman -U xfce4, xgl, and beryl.  Didn't do anything.  pacman -Rs and pacman -U ... nothing either.  So then I thought I'd try launching XGL and Beryl as root because it has different settings as it is a different user.  It worked fine.  I figured something "interesting" happened to my data, so I mv'd my ~/.config/xfce4 and xfce4-session folders to xfce4_ and sfce4-session_ respectively.  I started XGL and Beryl under my normal user, tweaked it gently to the way I liked it again and it was fine.

... Until a few minutes ago when it happened again.  I decided to post this issue here.  The same thing has happened twice exactly the same way and I have no clue in the world what is affecting my GUI this way.  My computer is a brand-new laptop and I am almost certain that it isn't the hard drive,  I just got the XGL/Beryl setup going and I've noticed this problem since, so it may or may not be XGL or Beryl.  I figure it is though.  But even so, I don't know what to do to avoid this problem.

Quite irritating to have to hackjob your way into a shell, you know? tongue  Any ideas?

#2 2007-05-24 10:42:45

synthead

Re: XFCE4 is doing itself in?

Bizzare!  When I have a themed cursor set selected, I run into these problems, and when I select the default set (no theme), it operates normally!

Wow ... I have never seen anything like this before.  I have no idea why it would be affecting this part of the system.

The other thing is that the cursor themes aren't presented when set, even after the window manager is restarted.  I'm going to try a few things and get more knowledgable about this situation.  As for now, I'll call it a bug ...

#3 2007-05-25 17:52:08

abhidg
Website

Re: XFCE4 is doing itself in?

I also experienced problems in changing cursor theme under XFCE. The theme would often abruptly change between what I had chosen and the default one. So now I have just put Xcursor.theme: themename in my ~/.Xdefaults, and now cursors are managed correctly.

Board footer