You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-25 19:50:26

Snarkout

Konqueror and helvetica/bitmap fonts

This is actually a solution, and probably a well known one, but one that took me several hours to figure out.

Essentially, the issue is that for some reason konqueror doesn't obey ~/.fonts.conf or /etc/fonts/local.conf, and this means that you end up with dogass ugly fonts at any page that opts for helvetica or any other non-aliased bitmap font.   I'd tried all of the replacement options I'd found for either of these files, and while firefox obeyed my substitutions, konqueror refused to.  While qtconfig has the option to replace fonts, this replacement *only* works if the system cannot find the font you are asking it to substitute.  In any event, short of actually removing helvetica and verdana, I discovered that you can add a symlink in /etc/fonts/conf.d to /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf and this solves the issue.  It may not be the best solution - I have no idea what else it affects, so caveat emptor and all that.  Personally, I never, ever want to see helvetica, so if I discover it causes issues elsewhere, I guess I'll just delete the font.

Yes, this is essentially in the wiki, but not using the same example, and as noted the example for helvetica substitution in the wiki doesn't work for konqueror, for whatever reason.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

Board footer