You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-25 00:06:04

hybrid

loading of yahoo-java-games fails

Hi,
I would like to play some of the games of games.yahoo.com (for example cribbage). I have firefox and jre (both in their latest version) installed but whenever I want to enter a room the applet gets loaded but gets hung up on 'loading text'.
What do I do wrong?

#2 2007-05-25 00:52:28

loserveg

Re: loading of yahoo-java-games fails

things that could cause it as far as i know:

have you set up your comp so that you are using jre rather than the gcj or whatever is the default?
~you have to tell your comp to use jre even tho you know it is installed

have you rebooted since installing jre?
~some files/config/whatever it is need a reboot in order to be completely "installed"

sorry its not really thorough or technical in any way, but those are the things taht ive run into with java, perhaps it could help.

#3 2007-05-25 00:56:04

slackhack

chess and cribbage work for me, haven't tried any others. do you have any ad blocker installed? maybe try flushing your cache or trying as a new user in case something is hanging it. just another guess, but maybe certain fonts need to be installed for those java apps?

#4 2007-05-26 00:05:16

hybrid

WTF? Alright, it's working now, I have no idea why but here is what I did:
1) I flushed my brwosers cache
2) I tried to enter a cribbage lounge, CPU usage went up to 100% and after a little while there was no internet traffic anymore, minutes later firefox-bin was still using up all my resources so I killed it
3) I tried to enter a cribbage lounge again, didn't work (got hung up at 'loading text')
(I forgot to close the yahoo-games cribbage lounge window so it was still "up and running" when I 'performed the next steps')
4) I wanted to see if other games work, so I fired up the new chess which worked since it is a flash application, so I closed that and tried to enter a chess lounge from the old yahoo-games chess and ti loaded perfectly
5) ever since then cribbage and so far every other game I have tried works

That doesn't really make sense to me, but it works now and maybe it's useful for someone else at some point in time. Thank both of you a lot for your answers. Thanks to them it now works. :>

Board footer