You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-27 06:48:53

iangoth

[SOLVED] ipw3945 driver crashes the wireless router

The title pretty much says it all. Sometimes when I download files (the server from which I'm downloading the file seems to make a difference), the download stalls and I lose my internet connection. This would be annoying enough if it were only my computer that lost the connection when this happened, but every computer on the network loses its connection too. To get the internet working again, I have to go find the router and the cable modem and unplug them both for a minute or so, then plug them back in. I'd say that this was a problem with the router or the cable modem, but both are new and I never have this problem when I'm on windows. It's also worth mentioning that this never happens when I'm using an ethernet cable to the same router.

I guess this must be a pretty unusual problem since I haven't found any mention of it anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong, or have any suggestions for a work around?

Last edited by iangoth (2007-07-04 07:58:14)

#2 2007-05-27 07:34:22

pelle.k

Re: [SOLVED] ipw3945 driver crashes the wireless router

I had the same problems with ndiswrapper a long time ago. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=29017
Your best bet would be to try another driver (native or ndiswrapper).

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#3 2007-05-27 08:53:32

iphitus
Forum Fellow

your router is broken.

Nothing your wireless card may send should do that to the router, or at least, not in everyday usage.

James

#4 2007-05-27 08:57:03

STiAT

I also have a problem with my wireless driver crashing, madwifi driver if i copy ~8 gb data it for sure crashes. But that's just the madwifi module. I never experienced problems with the ipw driver.

My router also crashes, if i have too many connections opened (~1000).

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#5 2007-05-27 09:09:46

iangoth

pelle.k wrote:

I had the same problems with ndiswrapper a long time ago. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=29017

Are there any other (hopefully stable) ipw3945 drivers out there?

iphitus wrote:

your router is broken.

Nothing your wireless card may send should do that to the router, or at least, not in everyday usage.

James

Are you sure? The router has never yet crashed while I have been using the wireless card in windows, but on Linux, often all I have to do to crash it is to try to download a 2mb file (and unfortunately, pacman is the most reliable way of doing this). Even if the router is broken, the Linux driver is clearly doing something differently than the windows driver.

#6 2007-05-27 10:29:32

iphitus
Forum Fellow

STiAT: nope, we're talking about the router crashing, not the wireless card.

iangoth wrote:
pelle.k wrote:

Are there any other (hopefully stable) ipw3945 drivers out there?

iphitus wrote:

your router is broken.

James

Are you sure? The router has never yet crashed while I have been using the wireless card in windows, but on Linux, often all I have to do to crash it is to try to download a 2mb file (and unfortunately, pacman is the most reliable way of doing this). Even if the router is broken, the Linux driver is clearly doing something differently than the windows driver.

No. Your router is defective. Your card should not be able to crash it.

That's a security issue, being able to spontaneously crash or DOS a person's router.

James

#7 2007-05-27 17:24:51

iangoth

Ok, thanks! But, at least until I can get a new router, do you have any suggestions for a workaround or something?

#8 2007-05-28 00:41:36

pelle.k

As i said earlier on, you could try ndiswrapper instead of the native driver, as a temporary measure.

You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.

SETH / Jane Roberts

#9 2007-05-28 05:34:08

iangoth

but you also said ndiswrapper gave you the same problem wink. I'll see if I can get a new router over the next few days and tell you how it works. Thanks for your help guys!

#10 2007-05-28 05:49:51

pelle.k

See, I only had that problem this _one_ time. With a certain ndiswrapper version, using a certain windows driver version. I had been using it for years before without problems.
When i had that problem i bought another usb adapter, but the problem i described, got resolved later on when ndiswrapper got updated in the repos. I'm running that same adapter now on another computer i have, using ndiswrapper... But yes, once upon a time it did bring my router down. Not anymore.

The problem with ndiswrapper is that when new versions are pushed out, that in combination with newer kernel version can occasionally break it. But you asked for a temporary measure so i gave you one. Overall, ndiswrapper has served me well during last couple of years.

SETH / Jane Roberts

#11 2007-05-30 02:27:00

broch
Banned

I never had this issue with any of ipw3945 driver version (currently 1.2.1)

#12 2007-07-04 07:57:35

iangoth

Well, I never got around to getting that new router, but I found a solution to the problem. Apparently I was experiencing the TCP Window Scaling Issue. In other words, yes, the router is broken smile, but the solution in the wiki seems to work fine. I guess I should have found that sooner hmm. Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it in case someone else has the same problem.

Last edited by iangoth (2007-07-04 07:58:57)

Board footer