You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-06 12:31:11

Birdman

Kernel panic after upgrade

I upgrade every weekend and have not had a problem for ages. But this time I cannot boot arch. My default set-up is to use lilo from my Slackware install and use a boot floppy. I have a script that updates the files in the Slackware boot folder. I then boot into Slackware and run lilo to update the boot sector on the floppy. I also have a GRUB boot floppy. I have used that also and tried the arch-fallback with exactly the same result:

kinit:Cannot opon root device sda7(8,7)
kinit: init not found!
kernel panic - not syncing.

The update ran through without any errors and I was expecting a painless update. What do I need to do to get my system back?

Thanks.

#2 2007-05-06 12:46:45

Birdman

Re: Kernel panic after upgrade

I have just read the wiki section on kernel panic. It suggests that I should roll back to the previously installed kernel. Should I do this, and does this mean that there is a problem with the new kernel on my system?

Thanks.

#3 2007-05-06 14:44:21

Birdman

OK, I've managed to reinstall the old kernel and nvidia package and now have a working system. Clearly my system has an issue with the new kernel. Is there a way of determining what this issue is and whether I need to do something or whether it will right itself with the next kernel update?

#4 2007-05-06 19:39:44

patroclo7

You should tell us which kernel are you updating from and to, otherwise it is difficult to guess the source of your troubles. smile

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#5 2007-05-06 20:07:29

ozar

Another default kernel upgrade just hit the repo, so that might fix your problem if that's the one you use.

oz

#6 2007-05-06 22:50:40

Birdman

patroclo7 wrote:

You should tell us which kernel are you updating from and to, otherwise it is difficult to guess the source of your troubles. smile

The upgrade was from 2.6.20.7-2 to 2.6.21.1-7.

#7 2007-05-07 11:36:43

Myav

I see the same kernel panic on VMWare Server (v1.0.2.39867) with kernel 2.6.21.1.-7. With 2.6.20-ARCH kernel from install CD I dont see this problem.

#8 2007-05-10 18:14:36

snappergrass

I run arch in a vm and I did an update (pacman -Syu) 2-3 days ago and got a kernel panic on the reboot - but it went away after upgrading to VMWare Workstation 6.0 (from 5.5).  So if you're running it under VMWare and you have problems it may help to upgrade.

I have to say that arch is pretty remarkable when it comes to upgrading packages and not breaking all sorts of crap.   Can't think of anything that handles it better.

#9 2007-05-14 01:24:23

TripleE

Birdman wrote:

I upgrade every weekend and have not had a problem for ages. But this time I cannot boot arch. My default set-up is to use lilo from my Slackware install and use a boot floppy. I have a script that updates the files in the Slackware boot folder. I then boot into Slackware and run lilo to update the boot sector on the floppy. I also have a GRUB boot floppy. I have used that also and tried the arch-fallback with exactly the same result:

kinit:Cannot opon root device sda7(8,7)
kinit: init not found!
kernel panic - not syncing.

The update ran through without any errors and I was expecting a painless update. What do I need to do to get my system back?

Thanks.

I had the same issue.  My hard drive (SATA) root partition changed from sda1 to sdc1 because my IDE drives changed from hda and hdb to sda and sdb respectively.  It pushed all of my drive letters.  You will have to update your /etc/fstab for your root, swap, and home (If different from root) partitions with the new names.  If fdisk will work, you can try a "fdisk -l" to see what your drive setup is.

HP Chromebook 14

#10 2007-05-26 16:03:21

Birdman

TripleE thanks for this. I have been a little busy recently and decided to let things settle down for a bit. Only spotted your post today roll From what you say it looks like it is a game of chicken and egg if the partitions move with the kernel. I also have a combination of SATA and IDE. If I create a template fstab by incrementing everything in there by a letter and swapping it with the old fstab after the upgrade by using a rescue disk I guess that will do it?

So why has this renaming happened? Does it affect everybody as only a few individuals appear to have reported problems?

Thanks.

#11 2007-05-27 16:10:26

Birdman

Thanks to the excellent wiki item "Persistent naming of block devices" I have sorted this one. I set-up disk labels and edited /etc/fstab and boot manager then did a kernel update. Everything worked perfectly.

That's what I love about linux (and arch), when presented with a challenge there is always an answer and one comes out the other side with more knowledge and experience.

Alan

Board footer