You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-17 08:59:43

geek.arnuld
Website

Arch hangs/freezezs like Windows XP

i have installed Arch i686 on my AMD64 without any trouble. then i did "pacman -Syu" and read all the output/messages after installation and rebooted. no problems. sometimes Arch hangs/freezez like Windows . then it stops responding to any action i take, the only option is to manual reboot from Cabinet button :-(

e.g. i give it a command "ls" and hit Enter then it just hangs in there at command line. this i not specifically related to "ls", sometimes it hangs while i am trying to login. i login my name and Enter and it hangs/freezes like if waiting for some more input. one more thing i have noticed is, then i can go to another tty using "C-A-F2/F3/Fx" and when i try to login there, it hangs there too. it means whenever it hangs then all ttys get into the problem. i have already installed Arch from this this CD 2 times earlier without any problem.

i tried to install CRUX but i get a message, something like this, during installation. i posted it because i thought, it would help in solving the problem:

-------------------
ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErn 0x0 action 0x2 frozen

ata1.00: cmd ca/00:50:3f:c0:ed/00:00:00:00/e1 tag 0 cdb 0x0 data 40960 out

ata1: port failed to respond (30 sec, status 0xd0)

ata1:00 revalidation failed (errorno = -5)
---------------------

what is the trouble?  i have 80GB Serial-ATA Seagate.

--
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/

#2 2007-05-18 12:26:00

Linteg

Re: Arch hangs/freezezs like Windows XP

I got weird errors like that before, after a kernel update (this was with ubuntu feisty, and I'm not sure if it was related to kernel update at all), with a sata Seagate & an Nforce4 sata controller,  it was easily fixed though, i just switched the sata cable...
You could also try to download SeaTools from Seagate's homepage and check your disk for errors (it's a bootable cd or floppy).

#3 2007-05-18 13:19:23

japetto

I would also suggest running memtest from a boot cd along with the SeaTools app.

#4 2007-05-18 13:29:49

Kern

are you running Xfce4 ? i had this happen many times and moved to pekwm. all lockups stopped

#5 2007-05-18 14:38:04

pelle.k

what is the trouble?  i have 80GB Serial-ATA Seagate.

This is most probably a hardware problem.
I imagine that 80GB drive is a couple of years old? Might be the mobo too. You could try another HD and see if it acts like that as well.
First, i would switch the ide cable though, as pointed out earlier...

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#6 2007-05-19 06:14:12

geek.arnuld
Website

Linteg wrote:

I got weird errors like that before, after a kernel update (this was with ubuntu feisty, and I'm not sure if it was related to kernel update at all), with a sata Seagate & an Nforce4 sata controller,  it was easily fixed though, i just switched the sata cable...

you switched the sata cable from port 1 to port 2 (of MOtherboard) ?

or you put a new sata cable on the same port?

Linteg wrote:

You could also try to download SeaTools from Seagate's homepage and check your disk for errors (it's a bootable cd or floppy).

seatools exist are for DOS and Windows only. i think i need to email them that i bought a new SAMSUNG hard disk, since they do not have seatools for Linux based GNU OS.

#7 2007-05-19 06:17:31

geek.arnuld
Website

pelle.k wrote:

This is most probably a hardware problem.
I imagine that 80GB drive is a couple of years old? Might be the mobo too. You could try another HD and see if it acts like that as well.

not is just 1.5 year sold but i have changed its filesystem mor ethan 100 times and repartitioned it more than 30 times. i think that is root of the problem.

pelle.k wrote:

First, i would switch the ide cable though, as pointed out earlier...

that is what i asked:

switch the sata cable to another sata port of motherboard

or

switch the sata cable itself

#8 2007-05-19 06:19:09

geek.arnuld
Website

japetto wrote:

I would also suggest running memtest from a boot cd along with the SeaTools app.

no, actually i don't use Desktops. NO Desktops NO bloat. i use Windowmaker.  BTW, i put on my old repaired ATA hard-disk and it is running fine :-)

#9 2007-05-19 13:11:13

japetto

seatools exist are for DOS and Windows only. i think i need to email them that i bought a new SAMSUNG hard disk, since they do not have seatools for Linux based GNU OS.

Seatools is available as an iso image.  Just select the "Download SeaTools for DOS now!" link @ http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/suppor … s/seatools.  Seatools enterprise is also available for linux.  I have never tried it though.

#10 2007-05-19 17:32:21

Linteg

geek.arnuld wrote:

switch the sata cable to another sata port of motherboard
or
switch the sata cable itself

My problem was the sata cable itself, but try both (preferably to a port belonging to another controller). And as previous poster said, SeaTools for dos are bootable images for floppy or cd smile

#11 2007-05-20 09:38:26

STiAT

I've similar lockups due to nvidia dual screen display...
Most likely, a nvidia bug.

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#12 2007-05-27 16:38:41

kupje

Mine did the exact same until I disabled Tickless System and High Resolution Timer in the kernel (yes, both of them - very strange). Don't know if it was Arch's fault, or if my computer simply doesn't like the new features of the 2.6.21 kernel. hmm

Board footer